nesting birds etc?

Lazurus

It’s really not that hard to check before hand  and if you do discover something then inform the client and go back another time. If you can’t afford to do this then you didn’t have enough money on the job.

All our staff have bat awareness training, (two of them are licensed bat handlers) and I believe that pre start checks for wildlife are part of the basic tree climbing course.  It can be annoying if some NIMBY attempts to use ecological issues to prevent work taking place, but if you have done a proper check and recorded it you have a document that you can show to any busy bodies..... Plus you can charge the client extra for the document if you like...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, woodwizzard said:

NIMBY and busy bodies! Yes, some are a bit like that, but I like the fact that some people care for and are concerned about wildlife. Better than not giving a shite surely.

You could say concerned Neighbour if you like. The important thing is that if you have done things properly and recorded your checks then you have a document that you can show to any interested parties.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

That might explain why I couldn’t find a single example of a tree surgeon (or whatever, you know what I mean) being prosecuted for damaging a nest in the course of his work.

If others can find one then fine.

So @Khriss if your ‘how to avoid’ is how to avoid prosecution then it’s a bit like how to avoid being mauled by a leopard in Bury St Edmunds, simply put, it’s not going to happen.

Eloquently, but inaccurately put, Dempsey.. What you cant find doesnt mean Not There. Its the old  jewish joke abt lost keys, my offering was tread carefully and be advised ( and take pictures) - on this hypothetical bird in the bush. K

No if or buts about protected or pest species under the relevant 1981 law ALL nests & brooding birds are protected. Period.

About 12 years ago I was ordered out of an oak tree I was dead wooding by an RSPCA officer because there was a crows nest in the tree, and we had been reported as disturbing a live nesting site by a neighbour. 

This week, with all the fine weather & gardens full of witnesses (potentially many prying eyes) I've only reduced 5 syccy's out of a group of 6 because the 6th tree had an active magpie's nest in the top of the crown. Tenant wasn't too happy (they'd been waiting 18 months for H.A. to pull their finger out), but understood the situation. Bitter sweet irony that in the next few weeks the baby magpie's will probably be dining on baby blue tits; robins and numerous other songbirds.

But we still did 5 out of 6 trees, not every tree or hedge for that matter has a nest in this time of year and most old nests are fairly obvious and rarely reused by most bird species, even nesting boxes should be emptied between broods to encourage birds to reuse them. So if there is a nest, there is always another tree job without you can fall back on. The tree/hedge will still be there in a few weeks after the birds have fledged and jogged on.

But, when it comes to wood pigeons nesting in conifers for 10months of the year (Feb-Nov) well I'd leave that to each individual's personal conscience!!! Bloody nuisance they are. Shitty varmints!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Stere said:

Seen a few more of  theese nets around  recently:

High-profile nature lovers including broadcaster Chris Packham have criticised developers for promoting the...

Highly dubious practice, pretty much frowned upon and with potential to generate considerable bad press for instigators - usually development sites working to a deadline which includes nesting period so they net the trees before nesting season to prevent birds getting in there which would delay felling. 

Not ‘illegal’, rather a pretty low handed method of staying within the letter - if not the spirit - of the current legislation. 

As ever, where big money is involved, there will always be someone willing to ‘bend’ the guidance to achieve their aim. 

Netting does have one potential drawback though - if birds get in and get trapped in, there could be a case to argue that it could / should have been foreseen and that there is a degree of negligence if birds die as a conseq Of the netting being there. 

As Mick points out though - difficult to find an example of an actual prosecution. 

Just a method employed by total shitbags. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stubby said:

So, if you intentionally or unintentionally disturb a nesting woodie  you would be in contravention but if you waited till it came down on your deeks on a pea field you would be ok ?  

Yup. K