nesting birds etc?

Lazurus

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

If anyone asks I always say that it's a requirement under the wildlife and countryside act 1981 to carry out a full inspection for active birds nest prior to the beginning of work. Technically it's not BUT it sounds good and usually stops any more questions and makes people aware that you know what you're doing. You can't tell if a nest is old or new until eggs start falling out anyway 

Yeah, lying is defiantly the way to go 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skyhuck said:

Yeah, lying is defiantly the way to go 👍

Wouldn't call it lying, I mean it's not wrong. You are required to check for any physical signs of nesting birds before carrying out tree work as even climbing the tree is a disturbance. If anything I'm just congregating information that the average joe who watched spring watch once can understand

54 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Well, Swifts rarely nest in trees since humans built them new, waterproof, protected homes in our roof spaces

A women stormed into garden were I was taking down a oak tree and went on about how Bat's roost in that tree at night, well I just laughed at her. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, woody paul said:

A women stormed into garden were I was taking down a oak tree and went on about how Bat's roost in that tree at night, well I just laughed at her. 

It is forbidden to kill or injure bats, disturb them or to obstruct or destroy their roosts (even if the bats are not inside). Breaking these laws could incur a fine of up to £5000 per incident or per bat, up to six months in prison and forfeiting the equipment used to commit the crime.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, trotter251 said:

We have a simple tick box form on our remote reporting software that the team fills in and attach photos to showing there's no obvious nests present. The questions are kinda prompts for them carrying out a visual check of the work area. It gets sent to us in the office and we can send it on to customer if needs be. Then if a nesting bird or obvious evidence of one is found during the job it's photographed and we pull off until it's clear to return.
I'm not sure how useful the form and photos would actually be if it really kicked off but it at least encourages the team to have a good look and when you tell a "well meaning" member of the public that you have carried out a check and recorded the findings they normally go away :)

Sounds like a plan

23 hours ago, Anno said:

It is forbidden to kill or injure bats, disturb them or to obstruct or destroy their roosts (even if the bats are not inside). Breaking these laws could incur a fine of up to £5000 per incident or per bat, up to six months in prison and forfeiting the equipment used to commit the crime.

I think he was joking about how bats don't roost at night but I agree, bats are no joke! 

On 31/03/2021 at 08:25, Anno said:

Serious question, how do you know? For example, bats can roost in ivy but I doubt anyone would thoroughly check?