Pine as firewood...yes or no?

On 30/03/2021 at 03:56, nepia said:

Can't speak for Canada but in the UK why not? In a burner of course, not on an open fire.  It dries well, spits a bit and burns well.  Fine by me.

We have plenty of hardwood here, we don't need to burn pine. So much so that I have never had to burn any as backup.

On 30/03/2021 at 04:13, trigger_andy said:

Apart from the Op wanting more clicks on his youtube channel Ive been burning a bit of Scots Pine lately. Some 100 years plus tree's. Burns very well in the kitchen stove. 

If you had a youtube channel, you'd be chomping at the bit to get views considering the time limit. Its a lot of work, It doesn't just happen for you, unless you get lucky. I do think that the internet exists to spread and or/ or gain knowledge though, am I wrong?

Just now, Ontario Firewood Resource said:

If you had a youtube channel, you'd be chomping at the bit to get views considering the time limit. Its a lot of work, It doesn't just happen for you, unless you get lucky. I do think that the internet exists to spread and or/ or gain knowledge though, am I wrong?

But I dont have a youtube channel and I dont particularly like the steam of spam you post up promoting your mediocre channel where you're mostly teaching grannies to suck eggs. 

• Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 04:13, coppice cutter said:

A bit of a bugger to split if you're doing it by hand, and a bit more bulk to deal with for the same heat, but apart from that it's grand and there's certainly no reason to avoid using it in a stove. 

Most people look at pine from the perspective of creosote potential, but the real factor is that it burns quick, which requires more handling, more wood, more ashes, more stoking, more cleanup. Hardwood is more efficient, that's all

I thought youtube was for non-professionals. Wasn't expecting to be one in under 3 months. Some people like it, so don't. That's natural, same goes for professional material.

Yeh, but you’re posting newbie links knowing full well most here aren’t purely to generate more clicks.
  • Like 1

Most people look at pine from the perspective of creosote potential, but the real factor is that it burns quick, which requires more handling, more wood, more ashes, more stoking, more cleanup. Hardwood is more efficient, that's all

On the contrary. Burning softwood in kitchen stoves is preferred by some. Quicker to heat up so you get your oven up to temp quicker and also allows you an increased degree of oven temp control some of the reasons you list above.

Once the kitchen stove is up to temp and we’re not using it for cooking but instead to heat the room and/or the water then depending on the hardwood it will get just that.

When burning dense hardwoods mixing in some softwood is also preferred by many. I’ll have a lot of English Oak next season. It certainly benefits from a ratio of softwood mixed in.
  • Like 2

Sure, that perspective is for cooking, not heating the building

Not quite.

As I mentioned many including myself mix soft in with hard.

Some burn purely soft either for economic reasons or because they see it as just as good or in some instances they sell the hardwood to those who demand it and are quite happy to burn the soft for themselves.

And the title of this thread is Pine as Firewood is it not? So regardless if I burn it in the kitchen or the living room it’s still firewood.