Pine as firewood...yes or no?

20 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Reducing the human population to one tenth of its present level and keeping it there forever will save the world. All else is grass. 

We also need immediate carbon sequestration on an unprecedented, one might even say impossible scale, or the remaining tenth aren't far behind.

Never mind, eh. 

Guest Gimlet

The human race, especially politicians, are so deep in denial they are nowhere near capable of comprehending that overpopulation even exists, never mind that it is a catastrophe. 

Overcrowded, urbanised populations are helpless populations, incapable of meeting their basic needs by themselves without centralised organisation. Politicians derive immense power and corporations vast wealth from helpless populations. That is why our own society in the UK is run as a Ponzi scheme reliant on ever increasing consumption and ever expanding population in a finite space with finite resources. It isn't fate or evolution that we have reached this dreadful state. It hasn't happened by accident.   

Edited by Gimlet

I burn pine and spruce all the time.  Birch is the preferred here but it goes up like paper sometimes.  Once I get a deep layer of coals I usually Chuck in some proper hardwood.

I squirrel away Oak, Elm, Ash, Plum, Apple, Pear and Beech when I get a chance.  Just the odd bits here and there through the summer.  It soon adds up.

One thing to note though IME is I don’t really think hardwoods alone give off that much heat alone and are much harder to get going.

It does get pretty cold here in Norway.  Pine is a fast quick heat fix when you come into a cold property.

Edit: maybe the hardwoods alone just take longer getting there from a fresh start.  That, plus a cold house maybe makes hardwoods seem less efficient compared to pine.  They are great though once you want to keep it going through out the day.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gimlet said:

The human race, especially politicians, are so deep in denial they are nowhere near capable of comprehending that overpopulation even exists, never mind that it is a catastrophe. 

Overcrowded, urbanised populations are helpless populations, incapable of meeting their basic needs by themselves without centralised organisation. Politicians derive immense power and corporations vast wealth from helpless populations. That is why our own society in the UK is run as a Ponzi scheme reliant on ever increasing consumption and ever expanding population in a finite space with finite resources. It isn't fate or evolution that we have reached this dreadful state. It hasn't happened by accident.   

Its take the money and run time for them. Regarding the population, the elites want to solve the problem before the problem solves them