Pine as firewood...yes or no?

I burn a fair bit of Pine as well as Cedar in my Rayburn. Used to have an open fire and it was like November 5th in the house with Pine on it. As others have said burns quickly and hot, ideal to get the fire going or if I’m in all day. I also use it for kindling as well. Felled some dead pine a couple of weeks ago, burnt the same week and the flue went hot very quickly so worth keeping an eye on it. For overnight burn I always switch to hardwoods for longevity and to get it to stay in

If anyone was offered free pine to burn would they turn it down? Of course not!
All varieties of wood have their pros and cons, it’s all about using what’s available and best for the situation.
For example in spring I don’t want the stove on all day, I want it to take the chill off the house in the morning and evening only, softwoods are best for this situation.
If I want the house to be toasty all through the night in winter, I’ll get the stove nice and hot and then load it full of dense hardwood.

• Like 5

All wood burns! I think Sweden for one would be a bit buggered if they weren't allowed to burn Pine. People should just burn what is most prevelant in their region. Having the ability to import all this kiln dried hardwood is just another symptom of how spoiled we have become as a nation.

• Like 9