Climbing chainsaws

Treemonkey87

Just now, skyhuck said:

You buy 20 at a time, but missed an entire product period? What happened between the 020’s and 201’s ?

No i did not buy them for my self - i got involved  in a  bigger company who bought them, sadly. 020 was my previous saw to that and wished i had kept it. K

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

@josharb87 not at all. We had abt 20x 201T s, half had to go  back to dealers, so not just 'oh its an odd duff one'  020 s i had used before that were cracking saws. K

Yeah the early 201's were hit and miss, which many dwell on and have tarnished the model for ever more. The newer M-tronic saws are good machines though imo. like Wickamulla said, nothing outstanding though.

What i was getting at with quoting you was your experiences on the Tanakas, makitas, Stiga and Mitox that you reckon are better? (or just jesting?)  I must admit to being a bit of a brand snob, but kind of open to new brands if they genuinely are better, i'd love Echo to bring out a new 50cc ground saw for example.

After getting the 2511, i was interested in the larger Echo topper, but the dealer was honest enough to say i'd be dissapointed if comparing it against a 201, think it was about 20% cheaper, but 20% less of a saw. 

@josharb87 thats the annoying thing, some of these 'off brand' saws can be bloody good buys! Think our man could be happy with an Echo ported out. I am usually once bitten twice shy with saws ( hence 560 xp no more ever in spite  of others good experiences) k

Edited by Khriss
Stiga was a funky little saw i remember for ticking over fr ages and bloody durable cases!

My experience of the 201t has been pretty good. Had it from new, one of the early models with the normal carb. I drilled the exhaust and later added the upgrade kit and its been great. Had it for about 8 years and aside a couple of cracked plastics it's been faultless.

How many 200t ran for that amount of time without carb issues?

You need two toppers as a climber though. 10" and a 14"

If I was buying to replace the 201t I'd be getting the T540 (battery or petrol)

• Like 2

How many 200t ran for that amount of time without carb issues?

Folk look at the 200t with rose tinted spectacles and I doubt any spent real serious time with them other wise they would be happy with what they have now...
apart from the crap anti vibes I’d had enough of them by the time they went out of production... early models had a stupid tank breather design that would easily get ripped off causing issues , the apparent retro fit kit fell off after two minutes, there was a brief run where they had it sorted then they messed about with the carb for epa regs so much it made them unreliable .
I can remember every old climber that had used the old 020 (alloy model) hated the new one ... I quite liked it at the time because it was lighter and the chain brake worked but the very early models had a habit of dropping there air filters as they had a badly designed quick release screw and exhausts that seemed to crack when you looked at them.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes. Remember the uncertain chain brake. Just cannot get excited abt battery saws   [emoji52]   K

I can’t really either but the 540 if this is the future is a great saw , I’ve only the rear handled version but I’m tempted for the top handle off the back of that.
  • Like 1

Buy the top handle version mate u won't regret it [emoji108]

Just had to get my yearly 2511 so will carry on with them for a bit , I’m just giving our ground version a run through it’s paces but I do like it...What are you using yours for mate ? Like a direct replacement for a 40cc saw or pruning as well?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

Just had to get my yearly 2511 so will carry on with them for a bit , I’m just giving our ground version a run through it’s paces but I do like it...What are you using yours for mate ? Like a direct replacement for a 40cc saw or pruning as well?

I use it as my go to top handle for most work the exception been a big take down with multiple big diameter cuts I use a ported 200t with 16inch bar for that other than that 540i panther bar chain combo all the way mate pleasure to use and so much less fatigue on ur body not having to start the saw

Edited by bigtreedon
  • Like 3