Treemotion harness cost compared to...

Rob Thompson

I'd like to compare the cost of a treemotion harness to a ford focus... madness ? Not in relativity.

The focus is a popular car, a lot of people have it. Because it is so popular, and there are so many on the road, it is cheaper to buy and to run. Why is the treemotion harness still one of the most expensive saddles one can buy ? 

Every video/webinar that I watch, the climber is wearing the treemotion, it is clearly popular throughout the industry across the world. Why is it not cheaper now ? Are they just taking the piss ? It is not the complicated composite of materials that lower range harnesses can be. It is actually a fairly simple design, utilitarian.

This is a question of consumerism. Don't give me that argument of "there's no price on saftey" , because all the price range available are safe.

This is just a moan, and a moan will not often achieve anything. I'd just be interested in your thoughts.

Mine is 5/6 years old, with many parts replaced since new. So it is time to get a new one.

I'm just asking why ?!!

A disgruntled climber.

They have a desirable product that people like and use, coupled with the fact they are a commercial enterprise why shouldn’t they charge good money. Is it expensive? It also costs a lot in terms of R&D and CE status to get it to market. If you get five years usage it’s pounds per month for a quality product. I use a rope guide and people always scoff at the price but it costs me about 15p a day to use it, I’ll take that for the saving in wear and tear on my body.

I wear a treemotion and I’m on my second one now, last one lasted for five years so good value for money IMO.

• Like 3

I suppose so, these are the comments I was expecting. This'll be my third one now. Before that I had a skylotec, before that I've used two petzl's, and before that I began on the obligatory willans. Back with the willans, I took off the central maillon and tied a rope across for a bridge. A bit revolutionary back then !

I must say that the skylotec was the most comfortable. But the treemotion is the best of them all, so I suppose I'll cough up !

Personally I never got on with the tree motion. Uncomfortable and doesn’t stay in place for me.
Skylotec is my favourite. When the current ones done I won’t even bother looking at anything else. Just another skylotec.
It’s just personal preference though. They are all good in their own right.

Basic math really. £430 for a tree motion Evo. Let's say you get five years use. 252 working days a year, let's say you use it 200. 200x5= 1000 working days use that's 43p a day. 

In all seriousness though it's become an industry standard. Trustworthy, reliable, comfortable, adaptable. I looked around and tried lots of different harnesses. The only one I think comes close by the look of it is the monkeybeaver which I would love to try but it's not CE marked. The tree motion doesn't have a direct competitor. The rest are all very different and whilst they aren't bad, they aren't the same.

Also, considering that you can't get them second hand you can only compare them to a new focus which is more than the old one 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 2

On 29/03/2021 at 01:13, skyhuck said:

If they are selling large numbers at the current price, why would they reduce the price?

Agreed.
Don’t get me wrong, I use a Weaver, so no axe to grind.

The makers of the Treemotion have a product people will pay a premium for, don’t want to pay it? Don’t buy it.

They're in business, as we are.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2