Are we in a bubble?

treeline tom

3 hours ago, woody paul said:

I think people will be more sensible with money after all has settled down as its been an eye opener to some were the next pound is coming from. 

Also, in part perhaps, an eye-opener in respect of people will have realised how much cash they were (literally) spaffing up the wall on unnecessary expenditure.

Maybe we'll see (I know, I'm an eternal optimist) a wholesale realignment of what people actually consider important enough to warrant expenditure?

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Or you could not get our hopes up and then post riddles ... thanks for sharing though I briefly thought I was about to see the light in finding the oracle of modern business on Arbtalk to guide and give us the answers we needed on a plate emoji6.png

There's no such easy answer I'm afraid. I did apologise for my answer being rather cryptic. I'm not the oracle you seek. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stere said:

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Estate agents report rise in buyer registrations around Winchester and Berkshire

Will  theese  people have  money to spend sprucing up there  new rural retreats?

Yes.  It's already very apparent.

One job recently, house sold in Richmond, bungalow bought in Cornwall.  Probably ¼ £mil spare cash in the bank.  My mate was primary on the tree work, I was just helping out.  Finished part 1 and he asked if I'd suggest what price he should punt for part 2.

I told him what I'd charge it at, he was a bit shocked but passed it forward to homeowner.  They didn't bat an eyelid and he said - nearly ripped his arm off.

Job done, decent payday, easy money.

It was only when I pointed out that the work we'd done would add more to the value to the property (extended views) than the cost of the extension, the new glazing, the complete internal refurb of the bungalow - all of which was taking place while we were there.

I've no doubt the architect, builder, glazier etc were all earning a pretty penny.

Some people can simply 'see' where value is added, and some still think nothing of splashing £10k on windows but balk at £2k for good tree work. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

There is a once in a lifetime opportunity around the corner for anyone with enough liquidity to take advantage quickly. It's no different to shorting stocks and shares. There's money to be made no matter what the masses are doing. 

Don't wash the van, sell it. Actually, wash the van and then sell it. 

Yeah I'm doing the same, I'm gonna make loads, probably more than you, cause I'm not retired.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Leave the van e6g`s , all new kit only impresses the impressionable and who the feck wants to work for them. Clean and tidy is good enough, the standard of you work and customer relations are far more important.

Bob

I'd like to think that's why companies have me back, I scrub up ok, arrive in an old van and get the job done.

36 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Sooner or later the music stops, and everyone is left dancing to their own tune.

Does it though? I've been a net saver since the financial crisis and I don't think anyone at the time would have thought interest rates would have stay so low for so long.

You would tend to think the the current government borrowing can't last for ever but many seem to think it can.

Perhaps a big fall out with China is more likely but who knows.

• Like 1