Are we in a bubble?

treeline tom

48 minutes ago, doobin said:

you can still make more profit (even excluding labour) in a day with a 10k machine than you can in a year's interest with that 10k in the bank.

I don't believe it... you're saying that the 10K machine will make me more money than the £45 interest? ;)

In all seriousness though, I completely agree. I don't think there will be a huge rush in little companies popping up mind. If you've been made redundant etc it's an expensive industry to get into and with no promise of work going from a well paid job to becoming self employed is a long process to becoming self sufficient financially. Obviously finance helps but with no job and no income getting a good finance deal and being able to make repayments on all the kit is a big overhead.

I think money is also best put into company image, clean vans, nice looking equipment, smart uniforms and company reviews. I've been undercut on some jobs but the customer has gone with me through good kit, a professional look and good reviews. Suddenly a £30-£50+ difference in prices doesn't matter when they are getting a professional company compared to a "man with a van". 

One of the best things I did (from customer feedback) was invest £10 in carbon copy quote forms. Fill out the customer data bit, what needs doing, tick a load of boxes. Lets the customer see what they are paying for. Giving them a proper form full of info with a quote on it looks more professional than a DIY business card with a number written on it. 

In relation to the house sale stuff more of my work recently has been from new buyers wanting trees sorted first thing. Of course a lot of that is leylandii bashing but it is what it is. More house sales=more work!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I think money is also best put into company image, clean vans, nice looking equipment, smart uniforms and company reviews. I've been undercut on some jobs but the customer has gone with me through good kit, a professional look and good reviews. Suddenly a £30-£50+

Kinnel, thats the end of us then.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

There are really 2 different conversations to be had here. One is how to depression proof your arb business, and the other is how to depression proof your finances generally. Actually, there's a third; I'm doing everything I can to set things up to make a nice tidy profit out of any bubble bursting that may occur. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

I'm in a bit of a quandary now, do I follow the multi millionaires business model, or do I go and wash the van.

There is a once in a lifetime opportunity around the corner for anyone with enough liquidity to take advantage quickly. It's no different to shorting stocks and shares. There's money to be made no matter what the masses are doing. 

Don't wash the van, sell it. Actually, wash the van and then sell it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retired Climber said:

There is a once in a lifetime opportunity around the corner for anyone with enough liquidity to take advantage quickly. It's no different to shorting stocks and shares. There's money to be made no matter what the masses are doing. 

Don't wash the van, sell it. Actually, wash the van and then sell it. 

Can you expand on what the " once in a lifetime " opportunity is please?

• Like 2

After the lockdown, the exodus. Estate agents are reporting a surge in the numbers of would-be homebuyers plotting a move out of the city to a rural area or smaller town as people conclude that home working is here to stay.
Firms said that during the last few weeks they had seen a big increase in enquiries about well-connected countryside and “out of city” locations – ranging from English market towns to Scottish fishing villages – where people could split their working week between home and office once life starts to return to normal.

5184.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&overlay-align=bottom%2Cleft&overlay-width=100p&overlay-base64=L2ltZy9zdGF0aWMvb3ZlcmxheXMvdGctZGVmYXVsdC5wbmc&s=fd3b281f5eb7d1474c0ec85747b18351 WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM
Estate agents report rise in buyer registrations around Winchester and Berkshire  

Will  theese  people have  money to spend sprucing up there  new rural retreats?

To be fair this what I see as part of the bubble. It’s all covid related. Might last a year or two. So yeah, I guess make hay!

9 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I'm in a bit of a quandary now, do I follow the multi millionaires business model, or do I go and wash the van.

Leave the van e6g`s , all new kit only impresses the impressionable and who the feck wants to work for them. Clean and tidy is good enough, the standard of you work and customer relations are far more important.

Bob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Can you expand on what the " once in a lifetime " opportunity is please?

Not really, it will be different for everyone. Change delivers opportunity, and changes are quite a big part of everyone's life at the moment. Furlough has been little more than shoving a massive load of QE money into the economy. Sooner or later the music stops, and everyone is left dancing to their own tune. 

Sorry if that answer seems a bit cryptic, but you'll have to do your own research and formulate your own plan. 

• Like 2

Not really, it will be different for everyone. Change delivers opportunity, and changes are quite a big part of everyone's life at the moment. Furlough has been little more than shoving a massive load of QE money into the economy. Sooner or later the music stops, and everyone is left dancing to their own tune. 

Sorry if that answer seems a bit cryptic, but you'll have to do your own research and formulate your own plan. 

Or you could not get our hopes up and then post riddles ... thanks for sharing though I briefly thought I was about to see the light in finding the oracle of modern business on Arbtalk to guide and give us the answers we needed on a plate [emoji6]