Which reliable 6'' chipper 10k - 15k budget

Floclimber

Thanks for sharing the info and experience on this topic. Some decent points have been put forward. Re the sub750 chippers, I'm keen to know of how many guys have been caught out from towing over their permitted weight given on the driving license. I myslef have towed way over my 750 towing limit, now in the process of applying for C1 +E so i am well covered for anything i will drive and tow. But my subbies can only tow 750kg. Essentially it's fine until you get pulled..then it's not so fine. but that is fairly rare, providing the springs aren't frowning on the truck and there's not a pyramid of woodchip on top. Strictly speaking i should get sub750, which unfortunately cancels out my options for an older TW230. I think the Jenson A530 is most likely the best bet for a 2nd chipper. Although the Forsts are smooth and fast with good service response, they don't seem as reliable as the Jensons or TW. I'd entertain the idea of a GM though as I've heard of less issues with TW & J, i think they are the beasts to go for. 

39 minutes ago, Floclimber said:

2009 Greenmech 8” Diesel chipper stc19-28 mt50 anyone with experience of this tracked chipper? found one for with just over 1000hours for £10.5k

Nearly anyone who has worked rail side. I think they were the standard utility cutters chipper for a decade. We have an old one and it's a decent machine.

• Like 1

You can go very wrong on ex rail kit due to the environments they naturally work in.
Radiators often don’t get blown out, servicing can sometimes be lacking and usually plenty of make do and mends to keep the chipper going that end up being permanent.
Especially if they largely live track side and never get back to the workshop. 

We do a lot of work on Safetraks. And have reconditioned plenty too. Happy to write you a check list. 

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

You can go very wrong on ex rail kit due to the environments they naturally work in.
Radiators often don’t get blown out, servicing can sometimes be lacking and usually plenty of make do and mends to keep the chipper going that end up being permanent.
Especially if they largely live track side and never get back to the workshop. 

We do a lot of work on Safetraks. And have reconditioned plenty too. Happy to write you a check list. 

Thanks that is much apreciated! I can see one for sale, which is why i ask, though i amfairly reluctant to go for GM unless it's their more reliable model which did their name some good - though i forget which one that is.