Which reliable 6'' chipper 10k - 15k budget

Floclimber

1 hour ago, Floclimber said:

I've not ruled that out, but i beleive timberwolf are more akward to deal with when it comes to mechanical repairs....have you got a 230 yourself? it's got generously wide infeed rollers which i expect will be efficient when stacking the hopper with a shed load of conifer and leafy brash

I’ve got a 160, but I work pretty much 50/50 with a mate who’s got a 230 (older 35hp diesel, one of the last).

It’s night and day on chipping capability, the 230 pretty much eats anything we can drag to the hopper.

Can’t comment on the Greenmech, haven’t used one for a long time, although I know you will get good back up from Pete on here and the team.

I also have no experience of the ST6 although I’ve used an ST8 a fair bit and was very impressed.

Where are you?

Local dealer service helps a lot when you need it.

I’m in Kent, but use Greenplant in Guildford which is a bit of a yap but their service and understanding of Timberwolf machines can’t really be bettered.

I personally find them pretty easy to work on, and parts availability is great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’ve got a 160, but I work pretty much 50/50 with a mate who’s got a 230 (older 35hp diesel, one of the last).

It’s night and day on chipping capability, the 230 pretty much eats anything we can drag to the hopper.

Can’t comment on the Greenmech, haven’t used one for a long time, although I know you will get good back up from Pete on here and the team.

I also have no experience of the ST6 although I’ve used an ST8 a fair bit and was very impressed.

Where are you?

Local dealer service helps a lot when you need it.

I’m in Kent, but use Greenplant in Guildford which is a bit of a yap but their service and understanding of Timberwolf machines can’t really be bettered.

I personally find them pretty easy to work on, and parts availability is great.

The 230 does seem decent from my research online - as far as youtube and reviews can show. it seems very robust and tuff, like you could throw anything at it. the ST6 decent and very efficient and more refined though possibly slightly less robust due the refined qualities, for example the grp cover and the fact it looks prett damn cool and well built from a visual perspective - which results in scrapes and aging perhaps showing up more than on the 230 which looks more basic but perhaps tuffer on the outside. Maybe i'm reading into it too much... 

I'm in south Devon

Edited by Floclimber
  • Like 1

If towing is not an issue don't get a sub 750 machine. The bigger chippers are more productive and not built to be under an arbitrary weight.

We have an older tw230 and it has been a great chipper. We trialed the new tw230 diesel and the guys thought it was ok but definitely slower.

We have just purchaced a very tidy low hours GM arborist 150 from Ashley at GA ground care. I have yet to actually see it but the reports back have been good. We have gm1928 and it's been as reliable our tw and Vermeer chippers. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

If towing is not an issue don't get a sub 750 machine. The bigger chippers are more productive and not built to be under an arbitrary weight.

We have an older tw230 and it has been a great chipper. We trialed the new tw230 diesel and the guys thought it was ok but definitely slower.

We have just purchaced a very tidy low hours GM arborist 150 from Ashley at GA ground care. I have yet to actually see it but the reports back have been good. We have gm1928 and it's been as reliable our tw and Vermeer chippers. 

Nice one good info thanks. that's what i am looking for. experience of several chippers so a genuine less bias review can be made!

Thanks mate, what year did the 230's older engine change to the following model? I expect i might get a little more for my money with the 230 compared to the forst....

I think it was last year the engine changed. Firm I work for has a 230 tracked with the old engine and that arrived 4 weeks before the first lockdown and was one of the last of the older engines. I commented on another thread about the difference in the engines of the old engine v the new one and how I felt the newer one felt more under powered. For your budget I would assume that you would get the older Kubota engine which would be a bonus. I think you are right you would get a bit more for your money with Timberwolf as opposed to a Forst. Too many choices nowadays!
  • Like 1

could you line up a few different makes and models, find your nearest dealers and try and arrange a demo of each one.

a good way to get to know your dealer and what you think of them and then you get to see what you think of the machine rather than someone elses view. particulaly as most companies as changing engines and spec around a lot at the moment to be stage 5 compliant.

we have found jensens to be well made and reliable.

carl 

• Like 1