Which reliable 6'' chipper 10k - 15k budget

Floclimber

Hey tree fellas!

I run a small arb business with 2 -3 guys 5 days a week and gradually growing, occasionally sending a second team out. Have got by with my Timberwolf 125 for several years now and ready to buy a 2nd larger faster hungrier chipper.

The 125 is fantastic for its light weight for not sinking into the ground when offroad, manovreability by 1 man, easy to tow and park in small spaces. 

On the downside, the infeed rollers are frustratingly slow on any medium + sized conifer job. Also slow when i want to chip over 3.5 inch wood. 

Having more logs than I now need, I could do with chipping most timber upto 6''. Recently I have been pushing it with 4 and 5'' branches which simply puts too much stress on the little machine when throwing that at it regularly.

So, cutting to the chase - my current interest is in the ST6 D, A530 and possibly the ST6P (petrol) if I can be convinced it's not significantly slower than the Diesel version.

Correct me if I'm wrong...As the ST6P uses GRP panels in areas, ofcourse the + point is light weight BUT it could crack, not as robust as the Diesel.

As most of my work is in the country side, I don't think I need to be concerened about emmisions which are gradually becoming an issue in big city's.

I beleive the Jensen could be more reliable as they are very solid in the engineering. Though to my memory of using the ST6 years back, it chips faster like a hungry beast.

7'' is also an option but 8'' is getting on the heavy side. The sub 750kg chippers are a bonus to tick all the legal boxes for my subbies towing, but not essential. 

I've considered the tracked options as they will be useful for occasional off track work, work positioning and pulling medium sized back leaners over. BUT for the occasional usefulness - it's probably not worth the hassle of dealing with parking the trailer out the way in towns and small drives etc. also more weight and fuel towing.

Points for and against the FORST ST6 and JENSEN A530 and other options in that league such as TIMBERWOLF or BANDIT would be MUCH APRECIATED along with reasons and experience. CHEERS lads :)

Edited by Floclimber

I use an st8, TR8, and ST6p weekly, recently hired a pretty much brand new st6d, and IMO the ST6p was all over it. Have used Jensen a fair bit as well, solid engineering and basic, but not really keeping up with Forst performance. Do Forst have the odd issue? yes, who doesn't, + they are very fast to sort problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

About as reliable as the english rugby team 🤣

What experience do you have owning/operating any chippers out of interest? Obviously you have an opinion on it (as you seem to about every-last-fooking-topic) - it’d be nice to know where you have gained the know-how to comment with such authority on a post where the OP is seeking information.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

What experience do you have owning/operating any chippers out of interest? Obviously you have an opinion on it (as you seem to about every-last-fooking-topic) - it’d be nice to know where you have gained the know-how to comment with such authority on a post where the OP is seeking information.

I've just bought an st6p after using someone elses. I really like it. The forst st6 has an adjustable infeed roller speed so when smashing big timber you can slow the feed down a bit and get more output in smaller chips than relying on the anti-stress to deal with it for you. 

Only reason I went with the p version is the sub 750. The grp panels are the front engine cover, everything from the motor mount back is the same as the bigger weight st6 models so unless you've regularly smashed engine covers it makes no difference 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve used all of the machines on your list. I would rank the ST6 diesel top followed by the petrol variant and then the Jensen. We had one of the first ST6 diesel’s when they first came out and it had a few teething problems like loosing its bearings. At the time Forst were trying to get established and we had a negative experience with them re customer service to start with but this was rectified and sorted out. I think at the time they were getting off the ground and the back up was a little lacking but I know several people with their machines now and the service is very good and they rave about it. The ST6 petrol I’ve used was very good for a sub 750kg machine, only thing was the anti stress appeared to kick in quicker than the diesel version. The Jensen, IMO isn’t as aggressive on the indeed as the Forst but still fires to the front of the truck. Jensen also have a good reputation for longevity. I’d also look at the Timberwolf 230 which is what I currently use, especially if you can get a decent second hand one with the older more powerful engine.

If licence restrictions aren’t an issue then maybe look at a bigger machine if you want extra throughput. However this depends on your trucks and their size, no point having a large chipper with tiny trucks unless you predominantly chip on-site

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1