Best metal detector for nails / staples and fencing wire in trees for milling

arboriculturist

I have quite a really nice few lower tree stems we have left in situ, some with really nice forks / burrs etc. The issue is, they have metal of various forms in them and its difficult to locate the various nails, fencing staples etc. and the thought of mashing a chain on the 660 or similar is not appealing.

Most detectors seem to be designed for scanning the ground or finding pipes/cables in walls etc.

Does anyone know of a metal detector that is good quality and perfect for the job?

Hi, pulse induction types normally meant for wet sand etc seem to be the most reliable, none will be perfect as in see metal deep in the tree when crosscutting big stuff... but once you start slabbing most should be able to pick up any metal in the depth of the next cut at least, cheers.

Ah, that's what my bit of research came up with also, so thanks for the feedback

I have been looking at a C-Scope 4PI, as with most things it appears that you get what you pay for and the reviews are excellent.

They seem to make very good money used so I think I may well go with new, unless someone posts something better suited.

I know they are great in wet sand as you say so similar to living trees.

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

Ah, that's what my bit of research came up with also, so thanks for the feedback

I have been looking at a C-Scope 4PI, as with most things it appears that you get what you pay for and the reviews are excellent.

They seem to make very good money used so I think I may well go with new, unless someone posts something better suited.

I know they are great in wet sand as you say so similar to living trees.

Yep, that's the one I've got, had a quick look on ebay and only new ones at the moment but they do turn up s/h... I'm no expert, my only experience is with the 4pi but there's many other brands so I suppose you could compare claimed specs to find similar or better....

According to various inputs on previous threads detecting in general seems to be a bit of a dark art and like you said Garrett get a good name.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

ACE 200i, you can begin finding treasure right away—in your own yard or wherever you travel. With the quality and...

Correct me if I am wrong, but any Metal Detector used for detecting metal in timber needs to be designed for locating metal within a water saturated medium as growing trees can be circa. 50% water.

Maybe my best bet would be to phone a few dedicated retailers up to get a feel for what is best, as I really wish to end up with the perfect tool for the job.

It depends what type of log you’re milling.
Cheap logs which contain metal could be firewooded at little loss.
Very expensive logs..
You’d mill em anyway.
Metal or not.
Small nails and wire are no problem with .404 chain.
I’ve also milled logs with metal in, and missed it.
[emoji106]

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

It depends what type of log you’re milling.
Cheap logs which contain metal could be firewooded at little loss.
Very expensive logs..
You’d mill em anyway.
Metal or not.
Small nails and wire are no problem with .404 chain.
I’ve also milled logs with metal in, and missed it.
emoji106.png

That's interesting information. I have only lo Pro on a Ported 660 so would need to be cautious.

A fair few of the trees I can source we remove ourselves and being able to do that with the knowledge that we can pretty much avoid all metal in a tree would be a massive game changer. That is why I think investing quality equipment to find the metal would be a massive game changer.