Oleo-Mac 951 not oiling (circa 1995)

Jeth

Does anyone know why this would be the case? Saw has recently had a new bar, chain and an oil pump, as I thought that it was the pump that was at fault. With the oil tank is full and after 20 mins use the chain was dry, tight, hot and no sign of oil level dropping in the tank. With the bar removed, I can see only a small amount of oil / bubbles coming out of the outlet when running. I’ve also set the pump adjustment screw to the maximum, but this makes no difference. I’ve also noticed something strange when I removed the oil tank sump plug/filter (not the oil filler cap) from underneath and no oil drained out what so ever, even though the oil tank was full!? should it have drained any oil out, unexpected, or could it be blocked somewhere? Next steps would be to flush the tank with fuel and hopefully this removes any debris/blockages, but failing that, I am out of ideas. If anyone could help diagnose this I would be most appreciative. Otherwise the saw runs well and it is a shame to mothball it for the sake of this issue! Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Jeth

Does sound like a blockage or tank silt- I you or a mate has one of those endoscopes that fit yr phone, have a peek in the tank with that. Did have an Oleo years ago but cannot remember much abt it. Rinse  tank out regardless. K

2 hours ago, Jeth said:

...... oil tank sump plug/filter (not the oil filler cap) from underneath and no oil drained out what so ever.....

Never seen such a thing (sump plug), are you sure that's what it is ?

As you've fitted a new pump you'll know which drilling or hose feeds the pump, clean that line out and check the oil filter for 'blockedness'.

Hi, many thanks for replying, to be honest I am not sure what it is... best guess was a sump plug. I have attached a photo of it from the underside and the filter to see if this helps to identify what it is.... Just can’t understand why it didn’t drain out the full tank of oil when removed, so assume it must be a separate tank, but unsure of its purpose if that’s the case....

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the oil pump feed line out, I will try that next and tank flush.

A7557A2F-D0E5-4BE1-9F06-B75E52B79AE7.jpeg

0E507F85-F654-46F7-8180-8FEC75F19ED5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

Does sound like a blockage or tank silt- I you or a mate has one of those endoscopes that fit yr phone, have a peek in the tank with that. Did have an Oleo years ago but cannot remember much abt it. Rinse  tank out regardless. K

Thank you for taking the time to reply, yes I agree and will definitely give it a rinse, is diesel or petrol best?

Well that's different !

Clearly it's a filter. The location is good for the oil pick up so I'd say that's what it is.

How does it work though? Given the height of filter and the fact you can't leave the top part exposed to air (coz then the pump will then only stuck air) - I imagine the filter goes into sealed a plastic tube, top of the tube connects to pump inlet,  bottom of tube should connect to oil tank.... Have a look in the hole the filter came out of and see if there is a connection to the tank down low. If there is a "cross drilling" I bet its blocked. You might also see something useful through the filler plug hole ....

2 hours ago, Jeth said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply, yes I agree and will definitely give it a rinse, is diesel or petrol best?

I use petrol ( old mix no good fr saw anymore) i put a bit of diesel in  the chain oil in winter to thin it tho, K

3 hours ago, bmp01 said:

Well that's different !

Clearly it's a filter. The location is good for the oil pick up so I'd say that's what it is.

How does it work though? Given the height of filter and the fact you can't leave the top part exposed to air (coz then the pump will then only stuck air) - I imagine the filter goes into sealed a plastic tube, top of the tube connects to pump inlet,  bottom of tube should connect to oil tank.... Have a look in the hole the filter came out of and see if there is a connection to the tank down low. If there is a "cross drilling" I bet its blocked. You might also see something useful through the filler plug hole ....

Isn't it the oil tank breather ?

With oiling issues I normally make sure the oil pimp isn't plugged with fine wood chip, make sure the pinion oil gear isn't shredded, check the oil pickup pipe (if fitted) isn't blocked and flush the oil tank.

If the oil is getting to the pump, the pump is pumping and the oil pinion is turning the pump, you usually have oil flow.

I think this is the IPL for your saw: -

https://www.efcopower.com/sites/default/files/951_IPL.pdf

I would assume that "sump plug" is a pre filter for the oil pump and probably draws the oil through that filter.