Make fast kindling with a slow splitter

My mate has a branch logger. I not a fan of using the thing as it seems quite dangerous but it can fairly rattle through the branches. Takes minutes to fill a 1.25m3 vented bag. 

He uses the stumpy littler things in his own stove and sells the regular logs to customers. The Branches also dry very quickly. Its a good way of dealing with what would otherwise have been left in the forest. 

IMG_1899.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gav73 said:

Anyone know who sells these? Would be interesting to know how much they cost as I regularly have a load of brash and branches that are just a pain to process/get rid of. If I can get something for the right price, I think it will same me lots of time and hassle. Ideally I wouldn’t want a PTO version.

Welmac UK supplied mine. Also these which look the same 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Cuts 130mm fresh softwood, 110mm fresh hardwood and 90mm in dry hardwood. INCLUDES A PTO SHAFT. Log size 10...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Welmac UK supplied mine. Also these which look the same 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Cuts 130mm fresh softwood, 110mm fresh hardwood and 90mm in dry hardwood. INCLUDES A PTO SHAFT. Log size 10...

I remain fascinated with these though will never have a use for one now. I would happily put my firewood axe away and use it for my firewood. I only burned a few bags of sawmill slabwood that had been through one.

Is the length of chop consistent as long as the wood is at right angles to the blades or does diameter effect it?

30 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Is the length of chop consistent as long as the wood is at right angles to the blades or does diameter effect it?

Thinner wood tends to come out longer. Straight wood feeds cleaner and again comes out longer on average. Always quite few crumbs mixed in from when it does a cut but for whatever reason it hasn't fed much

I had a couple of branch loggers, great machines but I struggled to find a market for the "loggings" 

Ended up putting a match to 35 cubes of the stuff when I had to move yards. It burns well...

Mine were rêbak machines, a polish company that's no longer operating. Couldn't fault the machines but changing people's minds about what constitutes "good" firewood was beyond me. 

I think that attitudes have shifted enough in the last year or so for someone to make it work as an eco fuel zero waste help the pandas kinda business.