Ash needed for Land yacht

Tim Spears

I sail landyachts and I need to get some Ash to make a new axle.

It has been difficult to find anyone that can provide any wood the right dimensions for the project.
I live in Orpington, Kent and have been calling local sawmills and looking on various websites but the size seems to be an issue.

It needs to be seasoned(or kiln dried), high quality and reasonably tight grained wood.
The dimensions I need to start from are 4000mm x 400mm x 100mm
Is this something you could help me source?

Thanks 
Tim Spears
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim Spears said:

It has been difficult to find anyone that can provide any wood the right dimensions for the project.
I live in Orpington, Kent and have been calling local sawmills and looking on various websites but the size seems to be an issue.

It needs to be seasoned(or kiln dried), high quality and reasonably tight grained wood.

Thanks 
Tim Spears

I have some 20 years Air Dried Ash. I could supply those dimensions from a 40" Diameter Ash Log. Would be £600 plus shipping. 

• Like 3

On 24/03/2021 at 17:28, Tim Spears said:

Thanks 
Tim Spears

This sounds very exotic! A 4 metre beam for the vessel and a live, non round axle? 

• Like 1

Wow thats some piece of timber! 

We built a 26' sailing boat some years back and it had an ash keelson. From memory it was about 60mm thick and 300mm wide. It had to be curved so we laminated 3x20mm thick boards together to create the section required. Might laminating thinner boards together be an option for you? Think you are unlikely to get 100mm thick ash kiln dried but 50mm should be available