Best entry level chainsaw in to the forestry sector?

TheGingerMan

Has anyone ever bought off the website mowers2go? Àre they legit? They've got saws selling for what seems the cheapest on the net

I brought a stihl 151t from Mowers2go during lockdown as my local dealer couldn’t get any stock. Transaction was all good, kept me informed when it was going to arrive and turned up when they said it would. I was a bit apprehensive about them but a mate buys a load of landscaping gear off of them and rates them and my experience was positive. They are a stihl dealer in Norwich which operates under Acle Garden Machinery Limited.
  • Like 2

Hard question - what is your local dealer selling? How strong are you? What are you cutting? Etc etc

For me - My local husky dealers are crap so I run Stihl 

I am strong enough to run a bigger saw if needed, so my choice increases 

I am cutting medium sized ash trees predominantly at the moment and running 70cc class saws with either an 18” or 20” bar

I you can use the training centre’s saws it might give you an insight into makes, models and how then feel in your hand. Helps to make an informed decision.

Remember people’s favourite saws might not be the best choice in the woods and an arborist is usually not the best person to ask. Good luck!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JaySmith said:

I brought a stihl 151t from Mowers2go during lockdown as my local dealer couldn’t get any stock. Transaction was all good, kept me informed when it was going to arrive and turned up when they said it would. I was a bit apprehensive about them but a mate buys a load of landscaping gear off of them and rates them and my experience was positive. They are a stihl dealer in Norwich which operates under Acle Garden Machinery Limited.

Thanks man! Needed to hear something about em, their prices are whoorea low! I never really trust on site reviews

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pete Mctree said:

Hard question - what is your local dealer selling? How strong are you? What are you cutting? Etc etc

For me - My local husky dealers are crap so I run Stihl 

I am strong enough to run a bigger saw if needed, so my choice increases 

I am cutting medium sized ash trees predominantly at the moment and running 70cc class saws with either an 18” or 20” bar

I you can use the training centre’s saws it might give you an insight into makes, models and how then feel in your hand. Helps to make an informed decision.

Remember people’s favourite saws might not be the best choice in the woods and an arborist is usually not the best person to ask. Good luck!

I reckon 60cc would be max for me. Not because I've trialled and tested above that but more so not being over confident and ended up with salami face afterwards.

I'm 6'1, not a bulky guy but with some mad deeply seated under the surface ginger strength. Entry level so aye, no a big saw required.

7 hours ago, TheGingerMan said:

Good words from you!  Thanks! Aye I'm right keen on stihls, considered a 362 but was no sure that was taking the piss a bit

Today a good combination of saws would be a 261 and a 462 / 500i  or the new 400 which seems like a decent saw to me, i used one a couple of wk ago for a day and was quite suprised with it ran a 20" bar and ringed a 30" sycamore with it, personally i would not entertain the 362 but thats my thoughts,

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, htb said:

From what I hear 550's are thin on the ground at the moment from the dealers.

It's not just 550's. It's pretty much all saws from different manufacturers. We get given a delivery date then that seems to change every couple of weeks!

As for 261 vs 550 we see a lot more 550's coming in for repairs than 261's (unless it's the early ones with the bearing problem) and got some carriers machined to accept a better bearing 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGingerMan said:

their prices are whoorea low!

Make sure that's the +vat and shipping price. They're only £70 cheaper than my local dealer for an 881 which is my next toy and I would rather have the local support (although it's all a "dealer" network). You spend your money local and you get more care long term. I've taken stuff back out of warranty and they've checked/fixed it for free. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Make sure that's the +vat and shipping price. They're only £70 cheaper than my local dealer for an 881 which is my next toy and I would rather have the local support (although it's all a "dealer" network). You spend your money local and you get more care long term. I've taken stuff back out of warranty and they've checked/fixed it for free. 

Thats my thoughts as well regarding keeping it local, last few saws i have bought  have all come from my local stihl dealer and about £30-40 more than buying on line, but when i took a older saw in for repair it was ready by dinner time the day after, and i cant knock that at all,  

• Like 1