Road traffic management cost

Paul Tomo

Hi Folks,

I would like some advice on road traffic management and what certification I need in-order to carry out work. The work involves a line of trees that's on the boundary of a property right next to a set of traffic lights and a public footpath. There are two lanes of traffic that stop at the lights, one of the lanes need to be blocked off and also the footpath is needed to be blocked off. I would say that the road closures will only be for a day. I have not applied for a road closure before and before I go a head with this application I would like to know the procedures I need to go through first, what the cost are and certifications needed and who pays for the closure.

Many thanks Paul Tomo

12 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Get a TM company in, they will do it all, then add to bill.  K

Yep this.

we used to hire traffic lights ourselves years ago, this was when things were a bit more lax. It was always a hassle. Best way by far is just getting a TM company in. 

that being said, a lot of them can be a pain in the backside also so it’s worth doing your research in the companies in your area.

The other thing is, make sure it's only a day - a couple of subbies will cost a lot less than an extra day closure.

I've rarely worked on proper closures but I subbied in one recently deadwooding in Cambridge we had three climbers and@Wolfie in a MEWP, starting pistol 9am and get the whole lot done by 2pm so they could open the road before evening traffic.

You would need somebody with NRSWA unit 2 (operative) and someone with unit 10 (supervisor) to comply. I did a refresher a while ago for the operative unit 2 and that covers you to set the TM out and goes through what you need depending on the traffic flow and road speed. The one with the supervisor card doesn’t have to be onsite but has to be ‘available’ should they need to come and inspect the site or if as an operative you have questions. You should also have a permit from the LA to be compliant as well.

As others have said I would personally use a TM company as they work out what kit you need, sort the permit, set it all up and operate it before taking it down. If you are using lights then they will often stay and man them in accordance with the traffic flow leaving you to get on with the cutting. The last one I priced up was only £180 dearer to have the operative for the day, far better to spend £180 and put it on the bill than having a climber or groundie trying to work out how to operate the lights and whether the taper is long enough etc. When we operated a set of lights previously they went down causing chaos and the firm had to come out an swap them meaning delays on site. Also it takes the responsibility away from you as an operator if they are doing the TM, similar in a way to a contract lift with a crane for example. When you have the NRSWA card you are liable for the site and the setting out. Round our way highways patrol the roads and pull you up if the signs and cones aren’t correct and can mean fines

• Like 1

You will need a open notice from highways and have to pay for it to carry out the works highways will also fine you if your tm is wrong highways will tell you when you can do the job, if it’s really busy they can make you do nights, just been on a week of nights cutting verges and trees back for a pipeline. Get more than one quote from tm companies and ensure that they know fully your requirements I recommend that you don’t take the cheapest quote. And put the whole cost on the bill!