Ray Mears

sime42

35 minutes ago, Xiucutil said:

I now feel guilty for derailing Ray Mears by mentioning fishing!

I've done a fair bit of foraging over the shore; limpets, prawns, seaweed etc; then on to bass and my preferred mackerel, all bushcrafty in my opinion. Especially freshly caught mackerel cooked over home felled alder.

• Like 3

as RM sells gear (with quite a high mark up), whats been the best, most useful bushcraft piece of kit you have made/bought, and the least?
Good question. For me the best bit of Bushcraft kit is a big old cast iron cooking pot. They're not new, clever or lightweight, but they're damn tough! They'll take any amount of abuse; you can chuck them on a roaring fire or red hot coals and they don't even flinch. Great for cooking as well, because of the thick cast iron they have a nice even heat, no hot spots. Good for doing a big hearty stew in.
Obviously not for the purist who likes to travel light, but if there's a few of you the weight is not an issue.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sime42 said:

For me the best bit of Bushcraft kit is a big old cast iron cooking pot.

Nearly half my meals are cooked in my Ronnie Sunshine Dutch oven on the gas hob indoors. I suppose it's camping because I have lived in a trailer for the last two and a half years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Do you like Whale? I’ve tried it three times now and just can’t get used to the taste. Hard to describe the flavour but I find it a horrific combo of beef and fish.!🤮

If its shot the wrong time of year its horrible.

You might have had some that was taken towards the wrong end of the season.

We eat quite a bit of it.

3 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

If its shot the wrong time of year its horrible.

You might have had some that was taken towards the wrong end of the season.

We eat quite a bit of it.

I guess that could be it? Three separate times though. The others never seemed fussed by the taste, saying that not many wanted it. Its always a laugh putting it out on social media that Ive had Whale for dinner and then sit back and watch the ill-informed Woke Brigade get their panties in a bunch. :D 

Id sooner have Whale again than Lutefisk though. Kumla for me any day.