Ray Mears

sime42

On 23/03/2021 at 18:48, Stubby said:

Did you notice the burger van that follows him around ?  He is , how can I put it , " well covered " .  He sits by a lake in the middle of nowhere and manages to catch a fish about3 inches long and says that will sustain him until morning .  Ok ...😁

When he was filming in the west coast of scotland he was seen buying fire lighters in the wee village shop 🤣🤣🤣. I do like watching his programmes tho.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Wow, this thread is developing some interesting twists and turns. How come you're on a Tree stuff forum, as a fisherman, do you do tree work as well? Maybe I missed something on another thread in the past. Just curious.
I thought most of the Spider Crabs go abroad to Europe. Has that not been fcked by Brexit as well? I've been watching and enjoying This Fishing Life on BBC. Not sure how representative it is.

There’s a good few guys on this site whom have other sources of income outside of Arb/Timber work. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Wow, this thread is developing some interesting twists and turns. How come you're on a Tree stuff forum, as a fisherman, do you do tree work as well? Maybe I missed something on another thread in the past. Just curious.
I thought most of the Spider Crabs go abroad to Europe. Has that not been fcked by Brexit as well? I've been watching and enjoying This Fishing Life on BBC. Not sure how representative it is.

I chop lots of logs, my favourite things are my 560xp, Gransfors Bruks maul and rock machinery splitter. I enjoyed This fishing life it was a pretty good representation.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I read that the spider crabs aren't popular here and mostly for export except that they  are not getting exported because of bureaucracy. What's the culinary difference and where can I try some?

100% of my shellfish is exported to the continent, the only time there there is any demand here for spiders is when Rick Stein or some other chef features them on tv. That disappears after a week when people realise what's involved in getting the meat out of them! Spider crab meat has a slightly stronger flavour  than brown crab I much prefer it. The Cornish are pretty switched on with their marketing and are promoting spiders as Cornish king crab, could be coming to a supermarket near you soon.

I now feel guilty for derailing Ray Mears by mentioning fishing!

• Like 1

100% of my shellfish is exported to the continent, the only time there there is any demand here for spiders is when Rick Stein or some other chef features them on tv. That disappears after a week when people realise what's involved in getting the meat out of them! Spider crab meat has a slightly stronger flavour  than brown crab I much prefer it. The Cornish are pretty switched on with their marketing and are promoting spiders as Cornish king crab, could be coming to a supermarket near you soon.
I now feel guilty for derailing Ray Mears by mentioning fishing!
Ray likes a bit of fishing so I wouldn't worry. [emoji12]