Ray Mears

sime42

21 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I've always fancied a bit of kayak fishing round here or try an blag my way onto one of the small fishing boats.

@Xiucutil what do you normally catch commercially down there? I'll not suggest Rays, but genuinely curious. Up here it's lobsters and crabs and herring still.

I have a 30' inshore boat and work single handed mostly shellfish. Just changing over from winter prawn potting to the summer spider crab season also get some brown crabs and lobsters. Also fish for Dover sole in the summer and red mullet in the autumn, with a small boat you've got to go with the seasons. If I get the time I also go rod and lining for pollack and bass which is more pleasurable. I am also in partnership with another fisherman in an oyster farm on the River Dart but that has been completely f*****d by Brexit and to some extent covid so after 17 years of hard graft building it up from scratch it looks like we are going to have to give it up.

• Like 1

I have a 30' inshore boat and work single handed mostly shellfish. Just changing over from winter prawn potting to the summer spider crab season also get some brown crabs and lobsters. Also fish for Dover sole in the summer and red mullet in the autumn, with a small boat you've got to go with the seasons. If I get the time I also go rod and lining for pollack and bass which is more pleasurable. I am also in partnership with another fisherman in an oyster farm on the River Dart but that has been completely f*****d by Brexit and to some extent covid so after 17 years of hard graft building it up from scratch it looks like we are going to have to give it up.
Wow, this thread is developing some interesting twists and turns. How come you're on a Tree stuff forum, as a fisherman, do you do tree work as well? Maybe I missed something on another thread in the past. Just curious.
I thought most of the Spider Crabs go abroad to Europe. Has that not been fcked by Brexit as well? I've been watching and enjoying This Fishing Life on BBC. Not sure how representative it is.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Xiucutil said:

I read that the spider crabs aren't popular here and mostly for export except that they  are not getting exported because of bureaucracy. What's the culinary difference and where can I try some?

27 minutes ago, Xiucutil said:

I am also in partnership with another fisherman in an oyster farm on the River Dart but that has been completely f*****d by Brexit and to some extent covid so after 17 years of hard graft building it up from scratch it looks like we are going to have to give it up.

One of my relations was working in oyster farming but was made redundant by Brexit/covid. One can only hope it picks up again once leaders get over their egos?

I did catch a BBC programme that followed some Cornish insure boats last year. Some seem to be creating a market for local fish locally, is that something you're trying?

Once this lockdown eases I must try and get down to my local port as I think they're trying to sell more locally as well. I've always wanted to try spider crab but never seen it for sale, it's been renamed Cornish King Crab or something?

• Like 2