Ray Mears

sime42

8 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

Because the MOD is the UK's biggest conservationist body, collars are sometimes placed on deer to monitor their movements. Are you the git who stopped Santa delivering this year by shooting Rudolph?  Hang your head in shame!

I feel sorry for you Poms with all your regulations etc.

Stalking is pretty simple,if you get the chance to do a lot of it.

• Like 2

wow. that is the life. i saw one in Forest of Dean when on holiday but i live in County Durham so not expecting them up here in my life time. if they were local i would get a 243 tomorrow. 
i was unable to read the RM article as i had to subscribe to a fascist rag but it was about re wilding Britain??? Bring it on IMO...wolves beaver boar...i doubt wolves will ever take off but i would love something done about Pine Martin numbers as that would sort out Grey Squizzers.
Sorry you couldn't read the original RM article, I didn't realise that. I could read it all when I originally posted the link to it. My brother did say something about it being free to read for one day only, but I took no notice at the time.
I didn't know the Telegraph was a fascist rag either! Apologies for that too. I'm not a newspaper reader.
The essence of the article from what I remember was an interview with Ray whilst they were out for a walk in a forest somewhere. Talking about what he's up to and thinking about these days. His point was that we should all be rewilding ourselves, as well as the landscape. There's not much point doing the latter if people don't appreciate the flora and fauna that benefit from rewilding the land. I agree.
I'm with you on Grey Squirrels. I hate the little fckers! Something needs to be done to control them, they're causing so much largely unseen damage to various parts of the environment.
  • Like 1

Not me, are you thinking of Jerusalem artichokes? Funnily enough I've tried growing them in the woodland but the deer ate them all.
They're shockingly gaseous! Wild garlic is a bit too in my experience but not a patch on Artichokes..
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sime42 said:
56 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:
Not me, are you thinking of Jerusalem artichokes? Funnily enough I've tried growing them in the woodland but the deer ate them all.

They're shockingly gaseous! Wild garlic is a bit too in my experience but not a patch on Artichokes..

The most flatulent foodstuff known to Man.  Sophie Grigson advised in one of her shows 'if you're given JA soup at a dinner party eat the main course, bolt the pudding and go home.  Let's face it they make you fart'.

The most flatulent foodstuff known to Man.  Sophie Grigson advised in one of her shows 'if you're given JA soup at a dinner party eat the main course, bolt the pudding and go home.  Let's face it they make you fart'.
Yep, even worse than chickpeas and lentils.
If Sophie Grigson said that then they must be bad!

A few days ago I made the mistake of having psyllium husks on my breakfast cereal and the last of this winter’s Jerusalem artichokes in a pork casserole for dinner.

My god! The inner turmoil started at 4 am, good job I was working on my own the next day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2