Ray Mears

sime42

wow. that is the life. i saw one in Forest of Dean when on holiday but i live in County Durham so not expecting them up here in my life time. if they were local i would get a 243 tomorrow. 

i was unable to read the RM article as i had to subscribe to a fascist rag but it was about re wilding Britain??? Bring it on IMO...wolves beaver boar...i doubt wolves will ever take off but i would love something done about Pine Martin numbers as that would sort out Grey Squizzers.

Edited by Tippin Alaybye
  • Like 1

I took a young Houshold Cavalry officer out stalking once on Lulworth ranges. He told me he'd been out on his father's sheep station in Australia for a year and went out looking for pig. He found one by a wallow, shot it with his 243, the mud had dried forming almost armour plating. He saw the round explode, the pig charged him, he climbed a tree and stayed there for almost 24 hours as the pig, not best pleased obviously,  stayed at the foot of the tree waiting for him. Nice lad but a bit of a Pillock. We had pigs in Dorset, released from a farm by Animal rights mob, they cut the wire fence, pigs wandered off although most returned "home" but quite a few went native. Still living rough after 30 years. This was between Dorchester and Bridport. Fittingly, near Toller Porcorum, the Valley of the swine.

I would echo Paul, 270 or 308. The French as Roughhewn says use 12 bore,  brenneke slugs or bb, not gauge, we ain't Yanks, Saul, and some of the bigger rifle calibres, usually 9mm, over and under. They go with a wallop.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

wow. that is the life. i saw one in Forest of Dean when on holiday but i live in County Durham so not expecting them up here in my life time. if they were local i would get a 243 tomorrow.

You'd probably give it a good bruise with a .243, thats way to small .... (as others said - those posts weren't there when I penned mine).

Edited by Mik the Miller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roboted said:

That depends totally on the combination of the man and the rifle in front  of him.

22 Hornet is not a reliable humane everyday roe calibre regardless of who’s on the trigger.  I’m well aware of my own capabilities, I shoot 22rf,17hmr,223,243 and sect 1 shotgun in the field, each has its place. Many is the time I’ve had opportunity but not the right tool. Each to their own but it would not be me using it on roe. 

• Like 2

I took a young Houshold Cavalry officer out stalking once on Lulworth ranges. He told me he'd been out on his father's sheep station in Australia for a year and went out looking for pig. He found one by a wallow, shot it with his 243, the mud had dried forming almost armour plating. He saw the round explode, the pig charged him, he climbed a tree and stayed there for almost 24 hours as the pig, not best pleased obviously,  stayed at the foot of the tree waiting for him. Nice lad but a bit of a Pillock. We had pigs in Dorset, released from a farm by Animal rights mob, they cut the wire fence, pigs wandered off although most returned "home" but quite a few went native. Still living rough after 30 years. This was between Dorchester and Bridport. Fittingly, near Toller Porcorum, the Valley of the swine.
I would echo Paul, 270 or 308. The French as Roughhewn says use 12 bore,  brenneke slugs or bb, not gauge, we ain't Yanks, Saul, and some of the bigger rifle calibres, usually 9mm, over and under. They go with a wallop.

I’ve not got an fac yet so a newbie really.
But I’ve heard many stories in France of hunters unloading both barrels at a boar and it’s either run off or attacked.
When the locals round our way went boar hunting, they’d have a line of shooters and flush a whole woodland towards them.
Feckjng chaos!
As they’ve all been drinking since 3-4am
Had this happen right outside our house one Sunday morning.
Sounded like apocalypse now, but with French swearing.
[emoji106]

40 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

It's frowned upon because if the deer moves you could leave it without a jaw to starve to death.

My sentiments too, seen more than one animal with terrible jaw and head damage that has struggled on for days.