Ray Mears

sime42

On 23/03/2021 at 17:10, sime42 said:

Interesting interview with Ray Mears here. One of my personal heroes.

WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

The naturalist has written a new book in lockdown which sets out how we can rewild ourselves, not just nature

Same here, been following him for some years, some of his stuff is a bit dear but top quality, very down to earth type of guy.

28 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Bullet placement is indeed everything but as for 22 Hornet on roe that would not be anywhere near enough to do the job effectively and humanely every time, short range yes it will drop one as would 22rf but would you class it’s ethically ok, I know I wouldn’t. 

That depends totally on the combination of the man and the rifle in front  of him.

All .22 chambered center fire rifles use a .224 bullet.

The .223 runs up to a 70gr bullet and fires a 55gr @ 3240fps

The .222 runs up to a 60gr bullet and fires a 55gr @ 3020fps

The 22-250 trumps them both by firing a 55gr bullet @ 4000fps - when it does it is very loud

It's not 'ilegal' to shoot a fox with a 17HMR, but I wouldn't, it would need to be very close and the shot placement perfect.

.22-250's carry a lot of energy over a lot of distance. Rabbits turn into red soup @ 150M, foxes have large exit wounds and small deer have a lot of meat damage and internal mushyness.

A rifle suitable for vermin is typically not suitable for deer, however, most deer calibers and chamberings are good for vermin.

.17HMR - rabbits

.22LR(sub) - rabbits, pidgeon and carrion around the farm

.22-250 - fox

.25-06 - small/medium deer and fox

.30-06 - boar, all deer species, fox

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Sorry, I'm still a bit curios about this. A 222 will be using the same bullet as a 223, just pushing it a bit slower. Looking at the 50gr bullets it seems possible that some loads may be under the 1,000 ft/lb deer limit unless you are right on the limit of the load data. It also looks like you could load a 223 to be very similar to a 222 so I would have thought damage would be very similar. I only raise it as a 223 is more common so you'll have a better choice of ammunition and components if you ever home load.

I think I’m coming round to a 223 tbh as agree to all your points. I’m still very much a novice with loads / ammunition if I’m honest and hopefully the fao will agree and hopefully grant my first centerfire. A good friend of mine loads his own so I will have guidance if needed. Appreciate the advice it’s what this place is all about. 

Interesting that there are so many knowledgeable shooters on this forum[emoji106]
I would love the opportunity to hunt boar. How close is the taste to pork? I imagine a lot leaner

You’ll need a bigger gun🤣
Very tasty!
Dark meat very flavoursome.
Local farmers in Brittany use 12 gauge with solid slugs.
My mate shot one in 97?
That weighed 180kg!
Head like a furry cows head with two huge razor sharp tusks.
(Mounted on wall)
He’d shot it half a mile from my house...
Didn’t sleep well for weeks...
[emoji6][emoji106]

20 minutes ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

Interesting that there are so many knowledgeable shooters on this forumemoji106.png

I would love the opportunity to hunt boar. How close is the taste to pork? I imagine a lot leaner

Nothing like pork. Stronger, more gamey and darker. We did hunting holidays our second year here and had one day a week on pig. A few times nearly a change of underwear job, big nasty buggers. First time I was out with a pack of harriers we hunted the woods. I smelt what I thought was Charlie but extremely strong. I came into a clearing to find a shell hole sized wallow, stunk to high heaven. I wandered off quickly. They are very courageous animals with a high level of intelligence. The last day of our first hunting holiday season, one pig killed four foxhounds when they bayed him. Not a beast to be underestimated. 

Edited by David Cropper
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, youngsbury said:

I’ve only had the hmr a year so might be pushing my luck on the 223 and I like to eat munties and I’ve seen the damage a 233 can do so a 222 would be my choice as it’s the smallest legal calibre i believe 

It is frowned upon but if you want a muntjac and little meat damage a head or neck shot is the way with a. 243 or bigger. 

46 minutes ago, youngsbury said:

I think I’m coming round to a 223 tbh as agree to all your points. I’m still very much a novice with loads / ammunition if I’m honest and hopefully the fao will agree and hopefully grant my first centerfire. A good friend of mine loads his own so I will have guidance if needed. Appreciate the advice it’s what this place is all about. 

Good luck. If your friend is willing to mentor you that may well help.

I think it's worth repeating if you do buy a 222/223 look into twist rates. I've seen some 223s with slow twist rates (1:14) really struggle with anything over 50gr. If you're looking for something for deer you'll probably need something around 1 in 9.

Slow twist rates suit light bullets which are aimed at vermin.

Edit to add, I would strongly suggest applying for a moderator at the same time as your rifle. You don't have to buy one straight away but you have good reason for one.

Edited by Paul in the woods