Battery Chainsaw

Steven P

5 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I used to be like that then someone told me that BMW, Audi, Merc all advertise so I decided to copy them and haven't looked back. This weekend I bought a £110 AL500 charger and AR 1000 backpack £550 all because of advertising. Okay I have spend over £2k in a year on advertising but its brought in 5 times that amount. 

I wasn’t really talking about business management just my dislike of spending my PAYE salary ! 

Apparently there’s loads of lithium in Cornwall, once it gets dug up the costs might come down a bit for the batteries - maybe!

I’m not yet convinced on the idea of a battery chainsaw, I’ve fallen foul of battery drill/drivers running out of juice at the worst possible times. It’s probably one of those things where I need to borrow someone else’s and use it for a while before I bite the bullet and buy one

1 hour ago, Gav73 said:

I’m not yet convinced on the idea of a battery chainsaw, I’ve fallen foul of battery drill/drivers running out of juice at the worst possible times. It’s probably one of those things where I need to borrow someone else’s and use it for a while before I bite the bullet and buy one

That's the only problem I have had with it so far, but for split firewood and about the garden, not a problem, I'll put it on to charge and grab a coffee. Not sure I'd only have this saw with me anywhere away from the house if it was important. However always hoping there wll be cheaper batteries or 'spares or repair' with the battery on ebay, I reckon a spare battery would be handy

2 hours ago, Silverhooker said:

If you haven’t guessed I’m Scots and tight as a ducks arse ! 

I first bought a cheap Chinese battery saw 12" bar 3/8 chain [ Greenworks ]  £110 ish maybe 5 or 6 years ago out of curiosity.. low chain speed but pulled relentlessly and felled / blocked many tons of firewood quite slowly and quietly... benefited greatly from a Stihl full chiz chain, had to be real careful with the poor quality of the adjustable bits but still as useable a toy today as when I bought it.

A couple of years ago I bought The Stihl msa 200....didn't like the picco micro chain and converted it to 220 spec 3/8 full chiz... bloody great, 24 ms, for anything small or any garden job it's my go to saw 👍

With a 14" bar it also bores better than you might expect and on the odd occasion that I get to drop a large tree with an audience, I have to admit that I kinda revel in doing it with the little battery Stihl pushed to it's limits, when before I might have made a show of a big noisy brute... it's funny to see the disbelief in their faces when the tree drops with a total lack of bluster, and hopefully you can go on to sned it as much as possible before the battery dies.. always got a 'real' saw warmed up as a backup obviously.

So don't be shy of buying the best you can afford and although these saws are really garden / firewood tools you won't regret it if that's what you do imo. cheers.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 08:11, Stubby said:

I thought garlic bread was the future ?

Stop living in the past, mr stubby. Garlic bread aint even on the  menu anymore. K

Edited by Khriss
( and stop painting ducks arses !!)
  • Like 1

What saw is it?

I was pretty keen on getting the Einhell 36V battery saw, but they don't seem to be making them any more, only the 18v one with much slower chain speed and short bar. I do need reasonable performance, maybe 10m/s plus chain speed. (I have a Titan mains elec saw, 15m/s I believe, and it's a very competent cutter - but I'd like a battery version...)
Farnell website has them on back order due in 5th April
  • Thanks 1