Battery Chainsaw

Steven P

Just putting this in here, a recommendation perhaps or to see what everyone else thinks.

Last year Homebase were selling a battery chainsaw at half price £80, and worth a punt. So far, and so long as the battery has a decent charge and the chain is sharp (I am sharpening it more than my 'proper' saw), I can't fault it.. for what it is. 650W so half the power of my MS181, I use it to cut to size any split logs that are too long, and it works just as well. In fact in some cases, better - for example, the 7:30 am logs that are too long, no longer needing to wake up the neighbours, and then odd long log, pick up and go for it.

So as an occasional saw and for split log use, can't fault it and worth looking at.

Oh, anything over about 8" diameter... I'll go petrol.

Any other views?

• Like 2

Just putting this in here, a recommendation perhaps or to see what everyone else thinks.

Last year Homebase were selling a battery chainsaw at half price £80, and worth a punt. So far, and so long as the battery has a decent charge and the chain is sharp (I am sharpening it more than my 'proper' saw), I can't fault it.. for what it is. 650W so half the power of my MS181, I use it to cut to size any split logs that are too long, and it works just as well. In fact in some cases, better - for example, the 7:30 am logs that are too long, no longer needing to wake up the neighbours, and then odd long log, pick up and go for it.

So as an occasional saw and for split log use, can't fault it and worth looking at.

Any other views?

Electric saws are the future....
[emoji106]

11 hours ago, Steven P said:

Any other views?

What saw is it?

I was pretty keen on getting the Einhell 36V battery saw, but they don't seem to be making them any more, only the 18v one with much slower chain speed and short bar. I do need reasonable performance, maybe 10m/s plus chain speed. (I have a Titan mains elec saw, 15m/s I believe, and it's a very competent cutter - but I'd like a battery version...)

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

What saw is it?

I was pretty keen on getting the Einhell 36V battery saw, but they don't seem to be making them any more, only the 18v one with much slower chain speed and short bar. I do need reasonable performance, maybe 10m/s plus chain speed. (I have a Titan mains elec saw, 15m/s I believe, and it's a very competent cutter - but I'd like a battery version...)

It is this one Qualcast 36v 4A 35cm Cordless Chainsaw | Homebase Weirdly, not available in store and not available for delivery this morning

I'm going to get some Garlic bread gong this evening then, expect a post later "how to clean bread and cheese out of a chainsaw"

• Like 1

I got the Sthil 120 battery saw (Rough Hewn's advice) with the 12 inch bar and its great, used it loads this winter on mostly Birch and Syc coppice and love it. Still need petrol saw for anything over 10 inch, it is a really useful little tool. Picco is an arse pain to sharpen tho ! its easy to keep clean too, I'm a bit OCD about clean tools.

Can see me replacing the bigger saws in the shed with battery in the future, but not for a while yet, battery and charger prices are a bit too much.

• Like 1