Cutting 16 inch logs the Cheap and Easy Way!

Billhook

11 hours ago, sime42 said:

Have you ever tried training yourself to be ambidextrous? 

You do in a way, and learn to get by in a 'right hand' world. Personally anything needing fine details I use my left hand, anything needing brute force, my right, just the way I learnt to do things when I was younger (like screws for example, had to use right hand, so followed on to use a hammer in my right as well, because to an 8 year old, tools went in the right hand). I don't think the distinction is as clear cut as left handers can't do things right handed and vice versa, we just prefer to do things the correct way.

OK time to give my favourite rant about English cricket and the way it is taught to children.

I am a total leftie but although I bowl left arm I bat right handed.  I also play golf right handed and when I played field hockey I held the stick right handed.  I noticed that all the cack handed hockey players were in fact strongly right handed for all other tasks and most left handed golfers the same.

When at the crease in cricket my left arm will provide the main power for all the conventional classic cover drives, the right hand is really only a guide.   But the most important thing is that my leading left eye is facing the bowler unrestricted by my nose if I was right eyed.

My conclusion is that the so called right hander batsman should be renamed as a left hander and all children should be taught to bat opposite handed to what they bowl, bit like David Gower

In particular, some of the greatest batsmen of the modern era including Brian Lara, Clive Lloyd, David Gower, Adam Gilchrist, Alistair Cook, Michael Hussey, Kumar Sangakkara, and Matthew Hayden all bat left handed yet are actually right-hand dominant

I see this article has appeared recently to back up what I have been preaching for years but it does not mention the leading eye

To find out which of your eyes is dominant, "Fire" your finger at an object with both eyes open.  Hold your finger in position and close one eye, open it again and close the other and see which one is actually looking at the object.

If we start teaching the kids properly we may start winning again!

WWW.SCIENCEDAILY.COM

Cricket batsmen who bat the 'wrong' way have a stunning advantage according to new research. Batsmen who adopt a reversed stance (right-handed people who bat left-handed...

Despite being very strongly right handed and btw my master eye is also the right one, my father always said I was "kitter fisted" using an Ax or sledge, in that I keep my right master hand on the end of the shaft for control, then let my left arm do the brute physical work, very very naturally.

BUT

I cannot use a Cricket bat or Golf club for love nor money, not in neither hand, it just feels wrong no matter which way I try.

11 hours ago, difflock said:

Despite being very strongly right handed and btw my master eye is also the right one, my father always said I was "kitter fisted" using an Ax or sledge, in that I keep my right master hand on the end of the shaft for control, then let my left arm do the brute physical work, very very naturally.

BUT

I cannot use a Cricket bat or Golf club for love nor money, not in neither hand, it just feels wrong no matter which way I try.

I think that also helps my theory, for you being strongly right handed and holding the axe in the way you do, I would think that you would bat and play golf  so called left handed..

I am totally left handed but I hold my axe like my cricket bat or hockey stick with dominant left hand at the top of the shaft.

I am sure that this is why I am so good at splitting wood with an axe compared to right handers operating the wrong way  (turns round and dives for cover under the bed to avoid the mass of abuse about to come out of my computer!}

• Like 1