Rowan tree help

Db104

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a duplicate post, I had some issues registering initially. 

I have a very old Rowan in my garden that is looking a little poorly. The bark on one of its limbs has begun peeling, underneath which it is quite red. I was hoping for a little advice on my best course of action. It only appears to impact one limb, though there are the beginnings of similar markings on the trunk. 

67E7E49A-F1AC-46E6-A155-1F679A544B40.jpeg

2B7F704A-DA34-4B8E-B1A5-E876042F90B4.jpeg

8E6CA1F6-FCCF-4634-9B3B-822BA8AF299C.jpeg

3335E824-9D37-4161-AD74-A3D1C8A70A2A.jpeg

• Like 1

Rowan are quite fragile trees.
Yours is probably knackered as the cracked open bark on the main stem suggests.
Personally...
Either
A: trim infected and dead wood and see what happens
B: cut whole tree down to 6” and wait for it to regrow. (It will).
C: cut down and replant.
[emoji106]

Thanks for all your responses. 

I’ve had a look and fireblight looks like a good shout, matches pretty closely to what I’m seeing. 

Were I to make an effort to salvage it, I’m guessing I would have to have to cut below the cracks on the trunk? 

Secondly, given this would leave a decent chunk of exposed wood I would have to use a sealant. However, I noticed there were a few anti fungal sprays, is there any merit in my giving these a go, despite thinking it’s likely fireblight?

4 minutes ago, Db104 said:

Thanks for all your responses. 

I’ve had a look and fireblight looks like a good shout, matches pretty closely to what I’m seeing. 

Were I to make an effort to salvage it, I’m guessing I would have to have to cut below the cracks on the trunk? 

Secondly, given this would leave a decent chunk of exposed wood I would have to use a sealant. However, I noticed there were a few anti fungal sprays, is there any merit in my giving these a go, despite thinking it’s likely fireblight?

Sealants are " old school " and not used now a days  preferring the tree to do its own healing .  Its your call obviously but if it were mine I would have it out ( split and season it ) and replant  with a tree of your choice .

Edited by Stubby