Battery powered chainsaws

JT19

52 minutes ago, Justme said:

The sthil will run a cool down cycle before charging a hot battery or a heat up one on a cold bat.

Then after charging it runs a second cool down cycle.

Clever little blighter, ain't it? 😉 That I think is the difference between a saw designed for hard nearly continuous use, and one designed to be used intermittently.

• Thanks 1

If you've got the makita battery and charger then go makita, not heard anything bad about them. The machines aren't too expensive the money is in the batteries and chargers. I don't have any other battery tools so i bought the Sthil 120 battery saw and love it. As has been said don't make it work too hard and keep the chain sharp and you'll have yourself a right handy little saw, especially for stop/start jobs like cutting up branches for firewood etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silverhooker said:

If you've got the makita battery and charger then go makita, not heard anything bad about them. The machines aren't too expensive the money is in the batteries and chargers. I don't have any other battery tools so i bought the Sthil 120 battery saw and love it. As has been said don't make it work too hard and keep the chain sharp and you'll have yourself a right handy little saw, especially for stop/start jobs like cutting up branches for firewood etc.

Yeah they’re superb. I bought my Makita 3 years ago. Never gone wrong. Saved me a fair whack in fuel- certainly more than the coat of the saw and batteries. Can’t complain. My Dad bought the 200 Stihl one which is supposed to be the top end but I’d say the Makita was just as good and quicker chain speed it felt like. 
8-12” is probably comfortable limit. Although I knocked over 2ft beech with it once- think it’s safe to say that was a bit much for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/03/2021 at 19:11, JT19 said:

I'm swinging towards Makita as I have there battery's and tools already. 

No brainer for you if you've already got the batteries and your only doing a little firewood, a mate of mines got the 36v Makita and it's fine for your purposes. cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Where did you find this? I can only see the Makita bare for £269 on the screfix site!

Apologies, I can see how that might be misinterpreted, my mistake. I was referring to batteries and charger, not saws.  The blighters have now put that up by £50, item number 665FV. It's not the bargain it was earlier.