Chainsaw chains

H and J

As a "weekend warrior" I have tried various chains and found Rotatech good value - probably the best of the budget chains.

I was recently given a Tallox bar and chain which someone wrongly ordered. Both bar and chain was crap or scrap - hardly worth fitting.

On 20/03/2021 at 20:36, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I used my Stihl battery 220 yesterday to cut down some leylandii and nearly used both AP300s batteries. Ordered a AR1kw backpack and another 500 rapid charger today because the AR3kw backpack is a bit heavy. Batteries is the way forward whether we like them or not, I'm not a big fan of them but it seems to be growing each time I use them. 😉 

You do know that the msa 220 reduces power by 50% when used on a back pack?

43 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

No but I do now. I'm only getting 37mins with a 300s battery so it states. Probably should have got a few 300s batteries instead but I also have the hedgecutters and strimmer which I use. My mate is a garden tool mechanic and was saying those robot grass cutters seem to be selling well and doing folk out of jobs. Then I thought how easy it is too nick them so maybe not catch on.

I don't know about not catching on. Husqvarna have been making them since 1995! We get numerous enquiries about them each week, which often results in a sale.

Over on this side of the Pond, I still run through about 5 gallons of mix per month. I'm retired from a fourth generation tree removal company. I have about 70 saws, most over 70CC's, so just trying to keep them in tune I use a lot of fuel. I used to tell friends that might use a chainsaw 2-3 times a year to just buy a cheap Poulan Wild Thing for $99 and throw it away when it dies. Now, I recommend they buy a good electric. It is the way of the future. I guess you have the same problems with ethanol fuel that we do? If you let a saw sit all winter, chances are the carb will be gummed up from the ethanol evaporating, leaving the detergents that are in the gas to gum up the works. I have friends that no matter what I say, they use the cheapest oil mix they can find. They live the old saying, "save a penny, spend a pound". Their saws are always buggered up. I use Stihl Ultra Synthetic. I was in the middle of a logging job when Covid hit. The home owners cancelled the job. My Stihl 660 sat with a full tank of fuel till November, and it started and ran fine. I think the stabilizers in the Stihl Ultra do help. As for the battery saws, I've heard that the Stihl and DeWalt are both top shelf. I haven't used one yet. Too expensive. I use all of my extra money buying old saws, Joe.

• Like 3

On 22/03/2021 at 12:55, Silverhooker said:

Rotatech strech like crazy, not good quality at all, almost single use disposable chain. I stopped using them a few years ago. Wouldn't put them on a battery saw where a good sharp chain is a must. As Rough hewn said Sthil battery saws are good  but need a good quality sharp chain.

That's been the total opposite of my experience. I run them from Makita 36v up to MS462 and have no complaints.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 12:55, Silverhooker said:

Rotatech strech like crazy, not good quality at all, almost single use disposable chain. I stopped using them a few years ago. Wouldn't put them on a battery saw where a good sharp chain is a must. As Rough hewn said Sthil battery saws are good  but need a good quality sharp chain.

I have never found that to be honest.If they do just re adjust tension as only so much give in a chain.Must be tight on the oil (scottish are you) 🤣 All tight arses

Edited by topchippyles

4 minutes ago, doobin said:

That's been the total opposite of my experience. I run them from Makita 36v up to MS462 and have no complaints.

I can not comment having never used them other than to say the reports from people who have used them  varies  considerably .  Differences like inconsistent hardness of cutters ( some you cant touch with a file some you can )  chains stretching ( not just after first tension )  some with no complaints at all  . This leads me to conclude ( rightly or wrongly ) that the quality control is non existent . 

• Like 2

I have a few kicking about but only use them for dirty garden jobs when you know your gona be attacking roots or coming in to contact with soils etc, or when your working along that unknown fence line where theres usually the dreaded nail or grown around fencing wire etc 🥴 one thing i’ve noticed with them is they can appear very aggressive first time off, they cause the bar to chatter a bit sometimes. Otherwise its genuine stihl for me.