Upgrading the forwarding trailer - suggestions?

Before too long, we're looking to replace the current trailer  ( Botex 11t with 560 loader) and are in the process of whittling down the shortlist.  It needs to be a fairly versatile set up as we can be in first thinnings one job or wrestling big hardwood logs out on the next.

Has anyone had much experience of the larger models from some of the northern european manufacturers like Kesla, Kronos, Farmi, Farma, Palms etc? My experiences have always been with the smaller models of any of those but, on paper, they all offer something that can lift similar to the current Botex but with a bit better visibility past the kingpost and geometry that works better with smaller timber. 

Also, I'd guess that a double extension (with the chain) is probably not the best for those times dragging big bits in on the extension?

AWD isn't crucial but we are considering it this time, but as a minimum some taller and wider tyres would be an improvement.  

My thinking is 10-12t trailer with adjustable pins and an extending bed (for the rare times we want 2 bays of 2.5's), steering drawbar, floaty tyres, single extention crane around 7m.

There is still a bit of thinking towards going roofmount at the same time (current tractor is a Valtra N121) but I think we probably do too much big timber to go that way yet.

• Like 1

Hi Chris, hope your well.
One guy we do a bit of nasty edge tree work for runs a Kronos that on a Y drawbar and has proper drive hubs, if he puts tracks on the trailer and chains on the valtra it will get where the purpose built won't.
Crane seems really strong and quick but like you say the chains on the extension do restrict how much it will drag in on bigger stuff.

I've used Farmi and Farma and both are pretty good. The Farmi is probably slightly better built but the Farma has more features and the full electric controls are great to use.

We've current got our Farma 14ton for sale because we're upgrading and it's been a great trailer to use. With the hydraulic extension and extra height bolsters you can get a big load on and visibility is good.

We've got the 8.5m crane with double extension. You have to keep an eye on the chain tension now and then or you can snap them, as we found out, but it's worth it for the extra reach and it still lifts plenty.

DSC_8407.JPG

DSC_8404.JPG

DSC_8125.JPG

Edit: We're looking at Fao Far and cranab at the moment but they are a lot of money depending what you're looking for.

Edited by gdh
  • Like 2

Interested in what you decide on. Sounds like your needs are similar to mine. 

Happy with my Kts trailer/crane but could really do with a driven trailer. 

Had a roof mount and found it more of a hindrance in thinnings.

Agree with the Botex in small stuff, always seemed a bit numb. 

Are Corwen still the Farmi dealers? 

They were a pain to deal with when I had one years ago. 

Heard good things about BMF gear. 

Hi John,

Not bad thanks, still here just changed the scenery a bit.  Hope all's good with you - saw the article in EA, looks like the toy collection is growing nicely :thumbup1:. Just about finished an awful roadside job that would probably have liked your Merlo.

I've heard good stuff about the Kronos, and possibly from a guy who drove the one you're talking about from time to time.  Driven axles are something I've no actual experience of but guessing they are different league to the cage drive?  The Kesla ProTraction setup looks like it works well with the Valtra shuttle but I'm not sure how anyone elses drive system plumbs in yet.

I am quite taken with the Farma, but theplates over the cage drive look to me like they'd get in the way as much as protect the drive system.  

One thing with going to an electric lever system that does put me off a little is when/if anything goes wrong its getting further away from being able to fix it without getting a grown up involved - its probably a lot better than it was a few years ago but I can remember at least one tractor parked up for a few weeks all because of a tiny little solenoid that had gone on one set of levers.

All being well we're off to go see a big Kesla early April 

Edited by Chris Sheppard

20 minutes ago, Svts said:

Interested in what you decide on. Sounds like your needs are similar to mine. 

Happy with my Kts trailer/crane but could really do with a driven trailer. 

Had a roof mount and found it more of a hindrance in thinnings.

Agree with the Botex in small stuff, always seemed a bit numb. 

Are Corwen still the Farmi dealers? 

They were a pain to deal with when I had one years ago. 

Heard good things about BMF gear. 

All my experience of roof mount was with my old 1164 and for a lot of work I quite liked it but never really had to do a lot of big timber with it. Part of the thinking with a possible roof mount was more long term thinking with maybe a small felling head or energy shear.  We've just upgraded to the next sized up Hypro which still means a lot of getting in and out of the cab....

Not sure on Corwen, though they do still have the Farmi trailers and cranes on the website.  i'm just up the road from the KTS dealer, but it doesn't look like they do anything particularly big lifting.  

BMF isn't one I've heard of (or the far foa ones) but will go have a look.

The Kts 6.7m crane will lift a fair bit but not what the Botex will. I still prefer it as a more nimble all round trailer crane. I've put some good pieces on one end first then lift other end and seesaw it on. Not had to test Ryetecs dealer backup yet. Its six years old now and shifted a good amount. Its been reliable considering its in the budget end of the market. But a driven trailer would make life much easier. 

I know of one BMF that's owner operated and he's happy with it so far.  

It seems a good jump up in price to the Kronos/Kelsa stuff. 

Hi Andy,

Not bad, ta, and you?  

Did spot you and daisy dropping some logs off at stones's a bit back - she's still looking well.  Was it a flatbed you fitted or a tipper?  I've not had a landy of any breed for a while now, slowly working through the rust on a 4x4 Sprinter now. Kinda reminiscent of Daisy in that its big and white and not the quietest in the cabxD

Kronos are great with the y yoke drawbar thing and band tracks it's a near purpose built forwarder. The crane is quick but like most scandi cranes designed for softwood not oversized UK hardwood. 

The one thing with a decent driven trailer make sure your tractor has the tractive power. I've seen more than one valmet 6000 series which had is transmission wrecked by it been woimf up by the drive on the trailer.