Crane and tractor on Block paving?

benedmonds

Is it your crane or a hire in? If it's a hire in you can get their advice and get them to bring big pads, my local company does a free survey. I did a bit of crane work when working for the council recovering a couple of sunk boats in the canal (120 tonne). Personally, considering the drainage situation and the unknown paving strength I would map out the utilities and position outside of it. Even with a pad, 40 tonne is a big crane to trust to bricks.

50 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Put two decent chimps in it and chog it down, it would be on the floor long before you decked out the job with mats and set up a crane.

Bob

Agreed, forget the crane.

Tractor, grab etc. will be enough, done in a day.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, benedmonds said:

It is bigger then it looks in the photo.   

Is it same tree in every picture, not that big if that's a 3 or 4 ton digger. Would of thought big MEWP would take strain out of job with quicker rigging and clogging down. 

Get a price for a contract lift and have the crane company sort the ground protection would be my recommendation.

We put a 40 tonne crane on a brand new drive identical to that last year and it was fine - we put the outriggers on 5m bogmats to lower the ground pressure. The only issue was when the crane ran close to the edge of the block-paving on the way in - a few moved and had to be re-layed but it wasn’t a great expense to put right. 
I’m guessing bin lorries etc use that driveway?

Here’s one we did last July on a very wet day. 
had to walk the crane in on mats.

8 wheel Mercedes 50 tonner.

crane company said it was the lowest ground pressure unit they had .

brought the timber out with Valtra/crane and trailer on the mats also with no damage.

FFC4F39C-21D9-418E-AD7C-1311895D9477.jpeg

13672560-9B36-408F-9C5C-48148AC4A403.jpeg

A decent climber and an avant zipping about will do that in a day without the stress of harming the paving.

Rig it like that. If you need help to clear the fences, rip the limbs in with a base pulley and portawrap truck pull (unless you have a bollard that lifts). Light negative rigging high up then reverse a truck half full of chip up to the stem to chog into.

IMG_1616107726.972413.thumb.jpg.9588acf045bc05d7f73307fcc7fde76d.jpg

• Like 1

Appreciate the advice re those with knowledge/experience on the block paving. Those of you who could get it down in a day, I am looking for staff and happy to take you on as you are better than me at my best or any of the probably 50-60 climbers I have hired over the last 20 years.... Pictures can be deceptive but it ain't coming down safety in a day.. Even with a crane, tractor trailer, Avant and 12 inch chipper it would be a challenge to get it out in the day..

Edited by benedmonds
  • Like 3