Silky advice

coppice cutter

Good afternoon all.

I have a Silky Gomtaro 300, which I find myself using more and more, to the degree that I'm considering buying it's big brother the Natanoko on the basis that's it's very similar just a bit stronger and sharpenable.

I could also use something a bit shorter sometimes so am I right in assuming that if I just buy a shorter Gomtaro blade my existing handle will fit and I can essentially downsize my existing Gomtaro as required?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, nepia said:

All Gomtaro blades fit a Gomtaro and all Natanoko blades fit a Natanoko.

Hope so anyway!

Also , if you leave any of them , no matter what model , on the tail gate step of your truck and drive off you will never see them again ..... The voice of stupidity . ☹️

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

I have a Silky Gomtaro 300, which I find myself using more and more, to the degree that I'm considering buying it's big brother the Natanoko on the basis that's it's very similar just a bit stronger and sharpenable.

You can sharpen the Gomtaro. Feather edge diamond file off Amazon costs about £7.50

6 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I've tried sharpening the zubat though, it did cut better than before but not really sharp. Maybe my file could have been better, I decided it wasn't worth the time as the silky earns it's place and I'd keep a spare blade in stock.

I have sharpened various Silky saws including Hayauchi  telescopic blades but only use them for lesser jobs and would always put a fresh blade on a climber's saw.

I'm impressed that people have been able to sharpen Silkys at all. Must need a very small, fine file and manual dexterity, for those three faced teeth. I thought the idea was that the blades couldn't be sharpened because if their manufacturing process, Silky would say that though wouldn't they?!

It takes me 10-15 minutes to sharpen mine with a file that cost about a fiver. So in theory I could sharpen four blades in one hour which would cost £120 at least if you just bought new blades. 

It would probably take 20 minutes to fit four new blades anyway so you would have to be on £150 an hour before sharpening blades became a waste of time. 

If you are in a job where you can just pass that cost onto the customer then fair enough but if the cost just comes out of your pocket it is a different matter. In reality it is still money that could stay in your pocket.

I only ever sharpen the top face of the blade, I'm not sure sharpening to side faces is physically possible. I would say sharpening at least doubles the life of the blade and more likely triples it. Not for everyone because you have to be able to use a file and some folk are cack handed at such things. Horses for courses, I can't climb a tree.