Advanceable tie in point

8 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

I'm not sure I understand the application here. Could you post a link to the video you saw?

There are plenty of options for setting retrievable or non retrievable canopy anchors

It's like a ring and ring cambium saver, but one side can be opened upon reaching the first thrown anchor. So that it can be put higher up if needed.

Got any suggestions of something like this that is retrievable, please stick em on here. Cheers

42 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Got you now, apologies Rob.

Mine is also pretty basic, base tie, Quickie in eye choked, or retrievable with an alpine.

Maybe I’m too old school!

Link would be great.

Six minutes in he talks about the multisling. I like it a lot, but I feel it's too skinny, and we shouldn't really be hanging on one carabiner. The skinny line is, as you will see in the video, hanging on two legs. But if the small ring got through the carabiner, it would change to loading dynamic to a single leg.

The idea is to facilitate easy rope removal after some redirects, with no rope on rope friction. With the opportunity to advance the tip while in the tree.

It's good, but I feel it could be better.

Six minutes in he talks about the multisling. I like it a lot, but I feel it's too skinny, and we shouldn't really be hanging on one carabiner. The skinny line is, as you will see in the video, hanging on two legs. But if the small ring got through the carabiner, it would change to loading dynamic to a single leg.
The idea is to facilitate easy rope removal after some redirects, with no rope on rope friction. With the opportunity to advance the tip while in the tree.
It's good, but I feel it could be better.
I often use a sling and carabiner, sometimes with a pinto to get better angles. Just lanyard in, slacked system, attach sling via girth hitch and clip line in...
Also you say we shouldn't be hanging off one carabiner.... But how do you attach your system to your bridge....
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, owain038 said:

I often use a sling and carabiner, sometimes with a pinto to get better angles. Just lanyard in, slacked system, attach sling via girth hitch and clip line in...
Also you say we shouldn't be hanging off one carabiner.... But how do you attach your system to your bridge....

You're right mate ! I just feel indoctrinated with bulletproof anchors !

Okay, I've watched Captain Charisma chat about anchor points for ten minutes. I hope it was worth it.

I think that system is a crap idea for a couple of reasons. The first being that a small ring looks like it could easily pass through a large crab/maillon. Fair enough you'd end up with it cinched to the branch but it's not ideal. 

Secondly with the maillon and the small ring, it's quite possible with regular unloading and loading of the line as we do when we climb, the dmm ring could potentially rotate the gate open. I'd definitely not trust it at finger tight.

Remember that remote anchors can't always be inspected throughout the climb. They need to be fail safe.

I typically use an alpine with a pinto or a adjustable cambium saver knot blocked. If I need to advance my tie in from the throwline ill usually just ddrt to where I need to be and set my final anchor from there. 

• Like 4

I find a running bowline really good when pitching up a tree and then swap to a pinto anchor when I get to my final anchor point for reductions.

I tried a mid line attachable cambium saver a few years ago but didn't get on with it. I found that 2 ultra Os back to back and a small maillon worked well but I'm not keen on hardware dropping out of the tree and smashing on rocks, concrete, tarmac etc. Plus they are a real pain when they get stuck, I don't find the pinto anchor gets stuck ever really.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, carlos said:

i nearly always just tie my mainline  anchor in  a running bowline to the top of the tree then when iam done go back up and undo and come down on double rope, not very fancy but simple and doesnt get stuck on the retrieval.

Nah man, at least use an anchor ring and clip a retrieval line to the bowline end of your rope! Make it work for you, not against you!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Nah man, at least use an anchor ring and clip a retrieval line to the bowline end of your rope! Make it work for you, not against you!

i have tried that but often have to go back up to finish the tree anyway so suits me to swap back to drt to descend, dont really feel it works against me, but i can be a bit slow to try new stuff.