Using live trees as fenceposts...

peds

...is obviously a pretty bad idea. But what if I really want to?

I've got to fence in three sides of my property, which is bordered by mature trees and the next in line, waiting for their turn. Goat willow, ash, alder, hawthorn, a few birch, every two to four metres, with a few bigger gaps. About 200m in total. Obviously I can plug holes with posts, but having just spent another 200m of fenceposts, I'd rather keep costs down. I do have access to a load of hazel sticks.

Could someone tell me exactly why I'd be a fecking eejit for considering it. I'm not short of firewood, and I'm happy to cut around the staples anyway if they ever need to come down.

This was done by the neighbours to the place where Mum still lives over 40yrs ago. Not good for the trees, but a mix of blackthorn with ash and poplar pollards are all still going. The wires are now deeply buried and the living posts are the only thing that keeps the fence up.

Why does it need fencing (determines the type of fencing), what size are the trees and what is the long-term plan? If it's a quick fix and the trees are coming out anyway, I can't see as it does any harm other than being a bit ugly and looking like a bodge, but it's you that has to live with it! If you have any decent specimen trees which you plan on keeping then I wouldn't put staples into those. If you plan on planting it up as a hedge for the long term then putting the staples into anything that won't lay would seem sensible.

Alec

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Hedge it!
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

The neighbours are moving back in in a few weeks after spending the winter downvalley, so it needs to be sheep and donkey proof by then. I'll definitely be trying to hedge some of it long term, great idea.

Edited by peds
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, agg221 said:

Why does it need fencing (determines the type of fencing), what size are the trees and what is the long-term plan? If it's a quick fix and the trees are coming out anyway, I can't see as it does any harm other than being a bit ugly and looking like a bodge, but it's you that has to live with it! If you have any decent specimen trees which you plan on keeping then I wouldn't put staples into those. If you plan on planting it up as a hedge for the long term then putting the staples into anything that won't lay would seem sensible.

Long term I'll be laying what I can, gradually removing the goat willow and replacing with something nicer (except for the ones pressed into service as fenceposts), and planting new hedging from cuttings and air layering over the next few years.

A quick fence is needed because the neigbouring sheep are returning in a couple of weeks. Not that bothered about the aestheics of it, and I actually quite like the look of a gnarled old hawthorn growing over the wire attached to it. If any of them do come down eventually, the lower bits of stem with shreds of wire in them are destined to be habitat creation rather than firewood.

Sure I'll crack on then, thanks for the advice.

Edited by peds

As has been said should be a 50 50 unless says on ur title deeds who responsability it is.

Do wot u want but I couldn't do it, will look a right mess be in and oot like a virign at a hoor noise.

For 200m ur only talking 100 posts max, and u could probably space them out to 3m esp if u run 1 or even 2 plain wires below net to stop sheep scrambling below fence.

For the sake of an extra 200 or 300 quid esp if divided 50 50.

Esp if u have any intention of paying it sticking steeples in it is not a clever idea.