Shipping container security

Paddy1000111

Haha, I remember him telling me about it.

Those black powder blanks are loud!

No, haven’t caught up for ages, even before the madness.

I’d love to see him again, he’s a proper character.

Sorry for the slight derail Paddy.

Some excellent advice on here, the more layers of security the better.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Probably drive by and hang back, I would have already called the police at this point. Wouldn't take much to follow them feeding info to the police. 

Police around here would turn up three days later if you were very lucky, especially if they thought it might be travellers. In fact they definitely wouldn't turn up in that case, they would just give you a crime number and say claim on your insurance.

It has got to the point where if you did actually intervene it would be you getting arrested for racism or something ridiculous. It is a very sorry state of affairs.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Probably drive by and hang back, I would have already called the police at this point. Wouldn't take much to follow them feeding info to the police. 

That’s probably the best thing to do as a lot of people have been attacked trying to stop things. 

Pictures take with camera or phone is best what I have found is that type if people don't like there picture took by hand held camera or a bright flash going off. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Police around here would turn up three days later if you were very lucky, especially if they thought it might be travellers. In fact they definitely wouldn't turn up in that case, they would just give you a crime number and say claim on your insurance.

It has got to the point where if you did actually intervene it would be you getting arrested for racism or something ridiculous. It is a very sorry state of affairs.

This is also why it's a good idea to follow them on the phone to the police. They actually turn up when you start threatening to take action yourself 😉

To be fair, the police by us are very good, they like a good chase and whilst they are stretched manpower wise they aren't as bad as other areas. It's not what it used to be though. We had a ford fiesta stolen maybe 16-20 odd years ago by a guy who cut the sunroof out and jumped it. Within 13 minutes we had 2 cars, a dog team and a helicopter 😂

• Like 1

If you go with the lock box it wants to be at least half inch thick and double the depth of this one with a 6” width so you don’t get the leverage they did!! and the one in your first photo I would not use as a perfect example either , also make the locking ring itself out of 1” steel or as thick as you can get really IMG_4826.jpg

• Like 2

We were done Jan 2019 got away will almost 65k worth of saw tool etc. As you can see from photo battery grinder 1mm disc cuts like butter. The close shakle lock held out, metal locking lug didn't. Now its 30mm thick steel plate box replacing the container one and stands off 55mm battery grinders can't cut more than 30mm. But as said if they want it they will take it. I saw the whole side of a transit cut out / off. Pay your insurance and hope they pay out.

IMG_0383.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, woody paul said:

I also knew of a place that had a dog kennel in yard with a chain coming out of it and back in, he never had a dog but they had to chance there luck to find out. 

Dids would nick the chain round here and weigh it in!

• Like 2

If they want to get in they will, and probably get away before you get there - chances will be that you are having a rare night out in town 20 miles away when they do.

Seeing the lock boxes can you make them double layered, 40mm offset between the 2 to stop battery grinders? Each welded in place, at last they have to spend time taking the first layer off before they can get to the second and then the lock... not sure, will filling the space between the 2 with sand wear away the grinder blade? Might also make it trickier to use a torch on them.

however like my comment, and aatimbers, they will go for the weak spots.. so a good lock, double strength protection for it, and they will take the hinges off, or just go through the doors themselves.

CCTV... yep, but get decent quality and talk to the police as to what quality they need to secure a conviction (no good if we all know it was Bob Pikey if the courts reject the images), and of course, infra red. Also perhaps a more covert one covering where they might park up to get number plates or them getting out a car before they put on any masks.

Likewise there was a Topgear episode breaking into vans, and the quickest wasn't breaking the lock, it was just crowbar into the door and off it popped.