Sycamore Trunk/Branch Rot desease

James Gibson

I am looking for advise on the health of a tree which I believe to be a sycamore tree. Large branches have been falling of with the string winds we have been getting, I noticed in some areas the bark seems to be missing possibly rotting. I have attached some pictures for you all yo see. Any help on this would be much appreciated. 

20210314_114627.jpg

20210314_114617.jpg

20210314_114251.jpg

20210314_114532.jpg

20210314_114111.jpg

20210314_114114.jpg

20210314_114225.jpg

20210314_114317.jpg

20210314_114236.jpg

33 minutes ago, James Gibson said:

I noticed in some areas the bark seems to be missing possibly rotting.

That looks like a few years old  grey squirrel bark stripping damage. There will be incipient rot and it could become a concern in a few years, it looks like it weakened that small branch enough for it to break off.

• Like 2

We have plenty of grey squirrels around here, never thought of that tbh so that is defo a possibility. Thanks for the reply. I've had a good look around the tree and noticed many upper branches have come off, not sure on the time period as I've only moved here a couple of years ago.. 

2nd what Openspaceman has said, it looks exactly like old grey squirrel damage. Some looks several years old. I've got some sycamore that gets badly damaged every year to such an extent the trees are almost dead. Probably not much you can do to prevent it, I find it happens around June although it can be most times of the year. Look out for strips of orangeish bark on the ground.

• Like 1

Ditto grey squirrel damage very common in sycamore.

Not a huge amount you can do - controlling squirrel populations will help to reduce future damage.

If falling branches are at risk if hurting people of property - get a tree surgeon to aerially inspect and to reduce the end of weight of severely damaged branches which will help to reduce the risk of further failures.

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

2nd what Openspaceman has said, it looks exactly like old grey squirrel damage. Some looks several years old. I've got some sycamore that gets badly damaged every year to such an extent the trees are almost dead. Probably not much you can do to prevent it, I find it happens around June although it can be most times of the year. Look out for strips of orangeish bark on the ground.

Yes it happens late spring and early summer, the culprits tend to be young males that have been displaced from breeding acting out of frustration according to what I read from the late Judith Rowe.

The damage is often worse in a good year for growth or after a thinning where the tree puts on a wider band of phloem which attracts the squirrels  as it is probably sweeter and worth the effort.

I used to consider it worth pruning trees as often the damage would start from a crotch  so a length of clean stem would not be so readily attacked as parts of the crown.

I've heard it's the young males as well, although I thought the jury was still out on exactly why. I also know someone who's trees were always targeted in the depths of winter.

I have also found that reducing the numbers does indeed keep the damage down. I had assumed the tree in discussion was in a back garden where squirrel control might be more difficult.

If you want to try the control method I can suggest a couple of traps.

But out in the woods a .410 is ideal or even dust off the old 12 bore when they greys get too used to you.

1 hour ago, Paul in the woods said:

I've heard it's the young males as well, although I thought the jury was still out on exactly why. I also know someone who's trees were always targeted in the depths of winter.

I have also found that reducing the numbers does indeed keep the damage down. I had assumed the tree in discussion was in a back garden where squirrel control might be more difficult.

If you want to try the control method I can suggest a couple of traps.

But out in the woods a .410 is ideal or even dust off the old 12 bore when they greys get too used to you.

Poking the dreys before shooting is worthwhile

1 hour ago, Paul in the woods said:

We are so lucky not to have greys over here. It’s very rare to see squirrel damage from the reds! when I was on the mainland as a kid we used to put peanut butter on a board to attract the greys then shoot them with a air rifle 👍😂

• Like 3