Vertical milling options

KWarb17

Another option...
Get an L bracket which fits on the guide bar bolts.
A sheet of thick ply on heavy tressels.
Then cut a slot for the bar to fit through.
Bolt down saw with bar pointing down through ply.
Flip the lot and you’ve got a massive table saw.
[emoji106]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Another option...
Get an L bracket which fits on the guide bar bolts.
A sheet of thick ply on heavy tressels.
Then cut a slot for the bar to fit through.
Bolt down saw with bar pointing down through ply.
Flip the lot and you’ve got a massive table saw.
emoji106.png

Now that sounds fun😂

Stick the 70inch bar on, will get the apprentice on it and have him shoving 30 inch logs through like a pack of cards 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Lowestoft Firewood said:

Could you not knock up a set up like one pictured on here somewhere a few months ago, using pallet racking as the guide. Cheap logosol kinda thing. 

I have a cheapo guide as pictured in this thread and it's rubbish. 

Yeh but you have to turn the log then to make beams...not easy to get a square cut if that makes sense?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

I have the Granberg one but I always thought they were more for cutting slabs into beams.

I made dozens of 8x8"s in Canada,some were 22 ' long,never had a problem with it going off square.

Thanks mate 

Pretty much all I'll be doing...cutting thick slabs off and the runs through to make beams from it.

Interesting feedback 👍

1 hour ago, KWarb17 said:

Thanks mate 

Pretty much all I'll be doing...cutting thick slabs off and the runs through to make beams from it.

Interesting feedback 👍

As you probably can guess,have your helper support the long beams as they come off the slab.

You can rig something up to do it alone but it's a bit of a faff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

I have the Granberg one but I always thought they were more for cutting slabs into beams.

I made dozens of 8x8"s in Canada,some were 22 ' long,never had a problem with it going off square.

I have cut a few dozen beams in oak using it and again, have not had a problem with it going off square. I have also used it for slotting in a flitch plate in one which then dropped in neatly, so pretty accurate but a bit of care needed to keep it straight and not twist the saw back-handle.

One thing to be aware of with all these devices - you are not holding the saw on the front handle which means the only way the chain brake will operate is on inertia, and your cutting position does leave some of you in line with the saw however carefully you position yourself. It shouldn't kick, but unlike an Alaskan mill which can't, these ones could if you catch something. Just worth considering in relation to saw choice and maintenance, given than a lot of older saws get used in milling.

Alec

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1