Transplanting a Rowan Tree

Doug Tait

I'd be grateful for any opinions or advice regarding moving a Rowan, 20yr old and around 3m tall.

DSC_0349.thumb.JPG.0dbd03e22ce6078d7287c0389d42c075.JPG

It has limited root spread on the house side (1m), as initially planted close to a small retaining wall.

DSC_0343.thumb.JPG.182f310b833f4e406b155ca4795ba7a0.JPG

There is a drain to be laid more or less under the tree so it'll be gone unless I can move it, and I have 2 weeks to work with.

What would be the best approach, or is it too short a time frame to attempt?

If yr getting a  mini digger in for drain work,  carefuly excavate around, prune roots n slip a wire under root plate to cut it out dragged by mini digger, might be 50/50 chance there.  Dont let rootplate dry out, hessian wraps etc. Lift with wrapping n straps not the trunk. K

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Khriss said:

If yr getting a  mini digger in for drain work,  carefuly excavate around, prune roots n slip a wire under root plate to cut it out dragged by mini digger, might be 50/50 chance there.  Dont let rootplate dry out, hessian wraps etc. Lift with wrapping n straps not the trunk. K

And get the new hole dug first .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.

There will be a small and medium digger available so no problem to prepare hole first and it'll be lifted and planted on the same day. It will have all the care it requires afterwards.

I used to live in the house and the tree was planted in memory of my late partner by her Mum so it'd be nice to at least try to save it.

When I replant it, should it be facing the same direction as it does currently?

• Like 3

It doesn't look too large to move. I would be inlined to stake it diagonally so the stake does not run into the rootball. Put the stake on the upwind side relative to the prevailing wind, so that the tree pulls against the tie, rather than pushes onto the stake and rubs on it. A useful tie for something this size is an old bicycle inner tube (when the bike shops re-open they are usually only too keen to give them away!) It will then need an annual check but shouldn't get too tight across the annual increments.

Alec

• Thanks 1

Don’t forget to give the tree a good prune to compensate for the root loss may be 30% of the branches, cut back some of the longer branches. Put some good soil in the pit I would use three guy ropes and make sure it’s well watered when you plant it to wash fines round the roots then keep well watered during the summer, if you can get a dustbin / wheelbarrow sized rootball or bigger it will have a good chance 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the Rowan, it is now in its new spot and the move seemed to go well.

Followed the advice given here as much as possible, and with the assistance of 2 excellent machine drivers who couldn't have been more helpful, things went smoothly.

Dug out trench around drip line with digger, then dug/pruned by hand to leave this...

DSC_0374.thumb.JPG.7594da3e09100057c7f5adfcfdf2b761.JPG

Wrapped in terram with strops under root ball to lift...

DSC_0378.thumb.JPG.35ca13f647a4b65c935e5ab5a4abc40b.JPG

And gently placed here, digger never touched the tree directly.

DSC_0380.thumb.JPG.67c0abff65888ea9a396a42e8dc8a6db.JPG

I will stake it for support and water regularly. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2