Sovereign push mower primer

ChrisNewport

Been gifted a used one that was leaking fuel from carb area, it appears to be leaking from the hole in the primer bubble. I dont think that this bubble should have fuel in it as it seems to be an air purge system as there is supposed to be a hole in the bubble. Am i correct in thinking this?

2 hours ago, ChrisNewport said:

Been gifted a used one that was leaking fuel from carb area, it appears to be leaking from the hole in the primer bubble. I dont think that this bubble should have fuel in it as it seems to be an air purge system as there is supposed to be a hole in the bubble. Am i correct in thinking this?

If it's anything like a normal 2 stroke bulb it should not have a hole. The bulb sucks fuel from the tank, through the carb and back to the tank via two non return valves in order to purge air from the carb.

I'm guessing it's a little Briggs and Stratton engine?  Or maybe a Honda?  4 stroke.  The primer bulb shouldn't have a hole bit it does get fuel into it.  A few pumps, 3 I think they recommend, squirting fuel into the carb inlet.  If you take the air filter off the top and look down you can see the fuel squirt in as you pump the bulb.  New bulb comes as part of the carb service kit along with the diaphragm, for just a few pounds.

1 hour ago, neiln said:

I'm guessing it's a little Briggs and Stratton engine?  Or maybe a Honda?  4 stroke.  The primer bulb shouldn't have a hole bit it does get fuel into it.  A few pumps, 3 I think they recommend, squirting fuel into the carb inlet.  If you take the air filter off the top and look down you can see the fuel squirt in as you pump the bulb.  New bulb comes as part of the carb service kit along with the diaphragm, for just a few pounds.

Yes the B&S engine primer is different in that it actively squirts fuel into the inlet to richen the mixture for cold start, over use will flood the engine with petrol. Still shouldn't have a hole.

I’ve had a sovereign mower for years. Yes the “primer bubble” does have a hole in it, it’s meant to have it. The only time it leaks from mine is if I store the mower on its front end. It’s not like a normal primer on a chainsaw or hedge trimmer and you’re right it shouldn’t have fuel in it.

10 minutes ago, Gav73 said:

I’ve had a sovereign mower for years. Yes the “primer bubble” does have a hole in it, it’s meant to have it. The only time it leaks from mine is if I store the mower on its front end. It’s not like a normal primer on a chainsaw or hedge trimmer and you’re right it shouldn’t have fuel in it.

Interesting, how does it function, do you cover the hole with your finger to prime it and then when uncovered it drains?

Interesting, how does it function, do you cover the hole with your finger to prime it and then when uncovered it drains?

When you prime it your finger naturally covers the hole, I don’t think it fills with fuel as it doesn’t drain out when you take your finger off it and I recall that you have to take your finger away for the bubble to come back out (I’m assuming the hole is doing that, by letting the air back in)

Obviously it’s been a number of months since I last used the lawnmower!

The hole is deffinately supposed to be there, there is only 1 pipe leading from the primer into the carb, there is no return. From what i can make out it pushes air in to the fuel bowl and forces a little petrol out through the main jet to prime as it doesnt have a choke. The only way i can see for the primer to get full of fuel is the float isnt shutting the needle off fully and eventually overnight its filling up. Trying to find spare carb parts is proving tricky. The engine looks like a rv150 thats on some mowers but they have a different carb.

The hole is deffinately supposed to be there, there is only 1 pipe leading from the primer into the carb, there is no return. From what i can make out it pushes air in to the fuel bowl and forces a little petrol out through the main jet to prime as it doesnt have a choke. The only way i can see for the primer to get full of fuel is the float isnt shutting the needle off fully and eventually overnight its filling up. Trying to find spare carb parts is proving tricky. The engine looks like a rv150 thats on some mowers but they have a different carb.

I might be able to help you there, as well as the one I’m running, I’ve got one where the engine gave up, I’ve been using it for spare parts, so I might have what you’re looking fot

1 minute ago, Gav73 said:

I might be able to help you there, as well as the one I’m running, I’ve got one where the engine gave up, I’ve been using it for spare parts, so I might have what you’re looking fot

After much trawling on ebay and enlarging every photo ive found one, Twice the price of the ones with the choke though.

Thanks for the offer.

• Like 1