Wheelbarrow wheels!

Saw-sick Steve

Buy some gloop that pumps into the tyre. I use air seal products stuff, it seals all punctures and never gives trouble.

I will never use any of the puncture preventative stuff after seeing what it did to my Dad’s Harley Davidson wheels. It basically rotted them from the inside - luckily he found out when getting a new tyre and not when he was out riding!

50 minutes ago, Stere said:

OP might be using barrows across where hedge has being flailed to be so repeatedly unlucky?

Is the  barrow wheel going  over blackthorn / brambles etc?

Go many  yrs without any puncture.... then its always seems to be  thorns or nail etc that doest if I do get one....

Basically stuff that avoidable normally.

Yeah, not buying that, sorry. Yes there's some Blackthorn around (but not flailed), but bramble - really? I can remember doing jobs on the old estate I started out on - over 40 years ago -  that regularly involved barrowing aggregate over scrub and rough ground and never having a puncture. It definitely seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon, as I stated in the op it's either down to cheap Chinese rubber or lower ply tyres IMO. 

I'm going for a 'puncture proof' barrow and see how I get on. I'd like to try a 6 ply tyre, but having googled them they only seem to be sold in units of 10.🙄

Yeah, not buying that, sorry. Yes there's some Blackthorn around (but not flailed), but bramble - really? I can remember doing jobs on the old estate I started out on - over 40 years ago -  that regularly involved barrowing aggregate over scrub and rough ground and never having a puncture. It definitely seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon, as I stated in the op it's either down to cheap Chinese rubber or lower ply tyres IMO. 

I'm going for a 'puncture proof' barrow and see how I get on. I'd like to try a 6 ply tyre, but having googled them they only seem to be sold in units of 10.🙄

Edited by Saw-sick Steve

2 hours ago, Gav73 said:

I will never use any of the puncture preventative stuff after seeing what it did to my Dad’s Harley Davidson wheels. It basically rotted them from the inside - luckily he found out when getting a new tyre and not when he was out riding!

Never heard of that before, but I am using the agricultural grade stuff, it's not designed for high speed

3 hours ago, Saw-sick Steve said:

Yep all the times on modern wheel barrows/sack trucks etc I've had a flat tyre..........It's rarely actually a puncture, mainly the wheels/tyres/innertubes falling apart

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saw-sick Steve said:

as I stated in the op it's either down to cheap Chinese rubber or lower ply tyres IMO. 

Yeah, last year I bought 2 galvi barrows of different makers, real good price but both got early flats and when taking off the wheels / tyres the rubber was total shite and paper thin as were the tubes and the wheels rims and axles were just total crap.... it's back to Haemmerlin for me.

I bought a couple of these:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Wheelbarrow wheel with block profile Full rubber black. 1x / 2x / 4x wheelbarrow wheel as desired. Then order Flat-less...

They don't fit my Hammerlin barrows without some modification - had to turn some spacers on the lathe (although a stack of washers might have sufficed) but it's nice not having constant flats

s-l400.jpg WWW.EBAY.CO.UK
Wheelbarrow wheel with block profile Full rubber black. 1x / 2x / 4x wheelbarrow wheel as desired. Then order Flat-less... They don't fit my Hammerlin barrows without some modification - had to turn some spacers on the lathe (although a stack of washers might have sufficed) but it's nice not having constant flats
Postage cost has gone up to £600!

1 minute ago, Dan Maynard said:
14 minutes ago, spandit said:
s-l400.jpg WWW.EBAY.CO.UK
Wheelbarrow wheel with block profile Full rubber black. 1x / 2x / 4x wheelbarrow wheel as desired. Then order Flat-less... They don't fit my Hammerlin barrows without some modification - had to turn some spacers on the lathe (although a stack of washers might have sufficed) but it's nice not having constant flats

Read more  

Postage cost has gone up to £600!

Well that's Brexit for you!