Wheelbarrow wheels!

Saw-sick Steve

I was about to swear and curse again at you... just replaced the tyre on my barrow. The first one (Chinese if that makes a difference) was very very tight to go on, the metal band came out the tyre, and I managed to get about 6 pinch punctures in the inner with the tyre levers. Tried a crow bar because of how tight it was a dented the rim. The UK supplier was great, replaced the tyre no problem. Second inner tube had a 'leak' in it when I took it to the tyre place - they struggled to get it on, told me to get a new wheel. Last go.. and it went on with no force sitting it on my knee watching Top Gear repeats or something (the first tyre needed a lot of body weight behind it...and the dented rim, plus a bent tyre lever). Oh in between all of this once the old one was on and 1 puncture left I tried a can of puncture sealant.. it blew the inner tube apart and spewed sealant all over the garage.

So.. all in about to swear at you. I did cut up an old bike tyre and line the wheel rim with that in case of spiky rust (glued it in place) and seeing your post, should maybe have done the same and another old bike inner tube between the tube and the tyre? Old mountain bike days - had Kevlar between the tyre and tube for protection. If that's any use for you?

I wanted to repair this since the wheel had a fixed axle in it, otherwise would need to get a new axle and shims to make it all fit if I had a new wheel, adding to the hassles. Oh, also needed a trip to B&Q for 2 bolts and nuts after having drilled the old rusted ones out.

Not confident now about the new inner tube, but I have the old one still - a lot thicker from the feel of it

(Noting that I had put a new hopper on this last year... sometime I guess they just wear out)

Edited by Steven P
  • Like 1

I put puncture proof (solid foam type) tyres on a couple of barrows. Not as nice to push as pneumatic but better than picking up the barrow and finding a flat.

I like the look of the heavy duty trailer tyres!

Edited by scbk
  • Like 1

Hate the solid ones

Maybe its something to do with cyling. Like team sky David Brailfords mantra for team sky cyclist marginal gains etc.

Solid tyres  just feel crap and more effort feels more of a chore to push.

Same as riding a bike with rigid wire beading non folding  cheapo tyres compared to quality high thread count tpi folding tyres.

Rema top tip is the best patch brand made in germany....

Have  some bike tubes with near a   dozen patches on... 😏

OP might be using barrows across where hedge has being flailed to be so repeatedly unlucky?

Is the  barrow wheel going  over blackthorn / brambles etc?

Go many  yrs without any puncture.... then its always seems to be  thorns or nail etc that doest if I do get one....

Basically stuff that avoidable normally.

Edited by Stere