Wheelbarrow wheels!

Saw-sick Steve

Without wanting to sound more of a grumpy old git than I already am, has anyone got any solutions to what seems to be a consistent problem for me of late - punctures in wheelbarrow wheels! I've tied puncture repair kits, new inner tubes and even resorted to a new wheel but with the same result - I now have three barrows with flats. I'm starting to think that the quality of new tyres/tubes is shite, whether that's down to poor quality Chinese construction or not I'm not sure, but I certainly don't remember having to do so many puncture repairs before, and the only barrow I've not had a problem with is an ancient one I leave at the yard that's nearly rusted through and with a really old cracked - but still inflated - tyre.

Is it possible to get replacement tyres/wheels of a heavier grade ply, or has anyone tried the 'puncture proof' or 'puncture resistant' wheels? Do they perform as well as a pneumatic tyre, or not worth the hassle? 

Try using 400x8 6 ply trailer tyres and tubes we used to fit these as standard replacements on the barrows at the college for the horticultural and Equine departments and saw very few punctures in comparison to a standard barrow tyre! 

something like these?

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

MAX LOAD 335kg 6PLY TYRE 400 - 8 TYRE & TUBE. MAX LOAD 335kg. 4.80 / 4.00-8 KENDA TRAILER TYRE AND TUBE. QUALITY TYRE FROM A TOP MANUFACTURER. KENDA...

David 

• Like 2

I have a Chillington wheelbarrow from Wickes with a puncture free wheel. The wheel has been fine for several years and is going to outlast the barrow by the looks of it. I've gone over some fairly rough ground and don't miss the pnumatic tyre.

I also have another barrow with an innertube and puncture (well the innertube split around the valve) so agree with the poor quality. I've picked up a solid wheel for it but need to sort out an axel as all the wheels seem to be incompatible with all the barrows.

• Like 2

Twistedhicap - that looks more like it, 6 ply should do the trick. Just wondering, without checking if older barrow tyres had a higher ply rating, or did 2 ply mean something else 25 years ago?

Paul -  re. wheel sizes and mountings  - this is another problem I've encountered. Got a pretty decent barrow from MVF that's nearly 30 years old, galvanized, 90 litre capacity that's still got years of life left in it but the tyre is now (understandably) perished - can I find a wheel of the correct type to fit? Can I f....!

tempted to try a puncture proof one from Screwfix

28 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I have a Chillington wheelbarrow from Wickes with a puncture free wheel. The wheel has been fine for several years and is going to outlast the barrow by the looks of it. I've gone over some fairly rough ground and don't miss the pnumatic tyre.

I also have another barrow with an innertube and puncture (well the innertube split around the valve) so agree with the poor quality. I've picked up a solid wheel for it but need to sort out an axel as all the wheels seem to be incompatible with all the barrows.

If you can find a wheel to fit with a bigger axle bore then some one (like me) can make spacer tubes to fit old to new if that makes sense? 

David 

Having gone through a few tubes in recent years, I've noticed the tubes now seem to be some sort of vinyl rather than rubber. Deteriorate faster and much harder to get a good repair to bond to. Will look at puncture proof for my next replacements.
Shaun [emoji106]