Buying from Ebay..

benedmonds

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

The golden rule is really simple:  Never pay anything before you have the item by bank transfer.  Paypal will give you some protection, bank transfer you are on your own.

Ebay feedback is meaningless if the account has been hacked.

If you assume the item is a scam you won't go far wrong.

The other really safe way is to go in person and see the item and pay cash.  Then the only risk is that the item is stolen.

I wish it was that easy. With covid and all the BS that goes with it most dealerships are doing a click and collect and you can't view or test drive. I paid for my van "sight unseen" from vanbase. Did hours of research, even rang their numbers I could find on google to cross check that someone wasn't pretending to be them. Handing over 21k via transfer without seeing the vehicle or having solid proof that the company even exists was terrifying. 

Edited by Paddy1000111

3 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I wish it was that easy. With covid and all the BS that goes with it most dealerships are doing a click and collect and you can't view or test drive. I paid for my van "sight unseen" from vanbase. Did hours of research, even rang their numbers I could find on google to cross check that someone wasn't pretending to be them. Handing over 21k via transfer without seeing the vehicle or having solid proof that the company even exists was terrifying. 

Well yes I was only talking about Ebay.  In the example you quote I would demand some sort of backup.  Even assuming it is all totally genuine, supposing they go bust after you pay and before they deliver your vehicle?

That is where proxy services can be used.  Indeed it might even be worth using PayPal as an intermediary, and accepting that they will pass the fee on to you.  Or your bank may offer similar services.

As you say sending £21,000 with no guarantee is scary!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Well yes I was only talking about Ebay.  In the example you quote I would demand some sort of backup.  Even assuming it is all totally genuine, supposing they go bust after you pay and before they deliver your vehicle?

That is where proxy services can be used.  Indeed it might even be worth using PayPal as an intermediary, and accepting that they will pass the fee on to you.  Or your bank may offer similar services.

As you say sending £21,000 with no guarantee is scary!

It was definitely a large source of stress. I wasn't allowed to pick it up until the money was in their account either. I got to the gate, they threw the keys at me and I took it away 😂😂

• 3 months later...

I have had some brilliant stuff off ebay, other stuff not so good. I often see things described as "mint" but when you look at the photos the thing looks well rough..

There is no need for anyone to get caught..

Never EVER pay for anything until you have seen it or in advance.

Never buy anything unless it is at the owners HOUSE and you have seen them go in and out. For example, the £20,000 excavator you are buying from the eastern european bloke that lives in a council flat and the digger is "round at my mates place" is unlikely to be his.. Go on google earth and see if the location looks appropriate for what is being sold..

If you go to look at something and the seller turns out to be more than one person, like a bunch of them, just walk away..

If you have to travel hundreds of miles, twice, then so be it. I have done near 700 mile round trips to buy stuff.

Never turn up with very large amounts of cash.. Go and look, and then, if you have internet banking, do a bank transfer..

john..

• Like 2

Some sound advice there. Have had some brilliant deals and some not so good. Always been to see vehicles first in person though, not with cash in pocket unless with at least one mate.

on the other side of the coin though - if I sell a chipper or whatever, there is no way I’m having buyers come to my house where all my gear is stored.

they can meet me on a job, see the machine in action and I’ll have all appropriate paperwork, copies of original receipts etc with me.
always buyer beware, but also sellers need to be very careful as well

• Like 3

Yes, i agree.. I would not feel happy at randoms turning up at my house either..

Saying that, when i have gone to collect stuff, i have met some lovely people!! I went and bought a chipper last week. The seller was a multi multi multi millionaire, the house was unbelieveable!!!

Turns out they had bought the thing brand new, [timberwolf 13/75] used it once, and then put it in their garage for 5 years. Needless to say the thing is indistinguishable from brand new!!

I was well pleased!!

I paid with paypal [off my credit card] then went and got it so if it had all gone wrong i would have got my money back anyway..

john..

• Like 3