Top out ASAP or leave until last - mass damping, inertia etc

AHPP

If I can take a top early, I will - especially in conifers.

The damping effect of leaving a few branches on below your topping cut is not to be underestimated. They really help dampen the motion of the tree, which can sometimes be more extreme than we would like. 

A simple demonstration is If you stand with your hands in your pockets and someone pushes you, chances are that you will move and or stumble. However if you have your arms out horizontal and someone pushes you, then the dampening effect of your arms will allow you to retain better posture and position.

• Like 4

Maybe should have said less weight that would be more accurate than force. The laterals may dampen the movement a little but on things like connies the lions tail on the top may also catch the wind more after you’ve removed the lower growth. Did a mouldy Sycamore the other day, leader for the tie in point was new growth from previous topping and the stem had what looked like poor attachment points with little reaction wood so I took the top out first before working the rest to minimise the weight of me plus the top on the anchor point. Yes the pole was then a bit more ‘twangy’ but I was fine with that if that makes sense. Everybody has their own ways of doing things and I guess there is no right or wrong way (as long as it’s done safely and with knowledge/experience applied)

It was a line of conifers that made me think about the topic. On spready hardwood, I’m more inclined to build tie in and rigging points around Y shapes and get rid of brash at the ends of the Ys as early as convenient. I place more importance on good geometry than mass damping (cheers, Paddy) there.

• Like 2

I dislike exposure these days.

Not doing sufficient larger trees myself to remain 'en form'

So when it came to a mongrel bastard multi-stem Douglas I tackled in gusty condutions, it took me an age to take out the last skinny top, lowered on a 70kg rated rigging wrench. 

Barely enough room to bring my spikes together, Client, neighbours, school kids, fat groundy watching with Mrs Lee on the ropes end, me hoping she would let it run sufficiently not to enduce that rat in terrier jaws shaking moment. All pegs carefully shaved so no chance of impalement.

I cut the gob and back cut by Silky, lacking the minerals to handle the wee Echo.

It all went swimmingly, no stem shake and I didn't gaff out but I confess that topping out skinny stems is not my favourite aspect of climbing.

Stuart

• Like 6

If I can take a top early, I will - especially in conifers.

The damping effect of leaving a few branches on below your topping cut is not to be underestimated. They really help dampen the motion of the tree, which can sometimes be more extreme than we would like. 
A simple demonstration is If you stand with your hands in your pockets and someone pushes you, chances are that you will move and or stumble. However if you have your arms out horizontal and someone pushes you, then the dampening effect of your arms will allow you to retain better posture and position.

Putting tops down a channel in conifers is good for protection but of course increases the likelihood of hanging stuff up. Also more work if the top is leaning away from the channel and you have to pull it over or change the balance. Good food for thought in terms of mass damping lower down as well as up top though.
  • Like 1

• Steve Bullman changed the title to Top out ASAP or leave until last - mass damping, inertia etc

Physics and safety aside, don't forget that you get a cooler photo for your social media presence if you leave a nice fat top above your anchor, and launch it away from you when it breaks free as you snip it.  This is assuming your groundie can get a decent camera angle and doesn't have fat fingers.

• Haha 2