HGV towing

Martin du Preez

I’m sick and tired of the stress of running over weight transits, it’s not fair on the lads either to expect them to do so.

Planning on getting a 10 or 12 tonner with a hiab, the only thing that I’m just finding impossible to find out is how much can I tow behind a say a 12 lorry??

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martin du Preez said:

I’m sick and tired of the stress of running over weight transits, it’s not fair on the lads either to expect them to do so.

Planning on getting a 10 or 12 tonner with a hiab, the only thing that I’m just finding impossible to find out is how much can I tow behind a say a 12 lorry??

Thanks in advance

You will need something already piped for air like a wagon and drag if you want the big train weight or you will be limited to something on overrun brakes. There are a few SWB wagon and drag units about that would lend themselves to ARB work.

Jenkinson  run them

image.jpeg.e479578badb5ba7dcf71c9237aca6145.jpeg

image.jpeg.4a29dcc6f80115f87722ed69a8469621.jpeg

• Like 1

These trucks are out there, we used to run a 10 ton Daf, that had a five ton payload and could tow 8 tons. As I mentioned it needs to be piped for air or you have the ballache of getting the air conversion approved and the plated weights altered.

Bob

These trucks are out there, we used to run a 10 ton Daf, that had a five ton payload and could tow 8 tons. As I mentioned it needs to be piped for air or you have the ballache of getting the air conversion approved and the plated weights altered.

Bob

That sounds like a good set up! Would be nice to drag a hooka lift trailer or something of the sort behind it
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Martin du Preez said:

Thanks in advance

That's a hell of a leap from transits, but if it works for you best way to go.

• Like 1

That's a hell of a leap from transits, but if it works for you best way to go.

Is it though?? A 7.5tonner is only a down rated 10 tonner. Get a nice sized hiab on that.

After a while it just becomes to much of a headache trying to keep up with transits, they become a bottle neck, you’re always overloaded and it’s unfair to ask lads to drive them over loaded all the time.
  • Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2021 at 23:37, Martin du Preez said:

Is it though?? A 7.5tonner is only a down rated 10 tonner. Get a nice sized hiab on that.

After a while it just becomes to much of a headache trying to keep up with transits, they become a bottle neck, you’re always overloaded and it’s unfair to ask lads to drive them over loaded all the time.

Only some of them.

Take Iveco for example, a 75e something v`s a 80e something, the latter is a factory down rated 10 tonner, or a heavy duty 7.5 tonner if you like.

Most 10-12 tonners are not much bigger than a 7.5, some can be based on 15 tonne chassis so a bit wider again.

• Like 1