Mrs going srt kit advise please.

Thanks people for all the advice. I've split my basket between honey brothers and gustharts. It saved me enough money to allow some upgrades, a recommended 60m line ! I forked out on the basis that this needs to start now, so that I can start the adjustments. Hopefully I can get the speed up asap. But it's about making it easier on me, not the speed. But I will want to at least match my current times.

I'll need to practice my throwline, and I'm a little perplext as to how a srt tip is advanced beyond the first achieved anchor... it'll be a journey.

Thanks all 👍

Edited by Rob Thompson
Typo
  • Like 1

Say if you throw the line and get 2/3rds of the way up a tree.  Base tie and make sure you have enough working rope for the tasks.  Then SRT to the anchor.  Scramble, alternate land yard or free climb to the desired point.  Then pass your system through the desired crotch and pull the line all the way through.

Schultz effect shows a lot of these techniques and methods.

• Confused 1

another way round this problem is to srt up to your throwline set anchor point, then lanyard in and get your base tie undone and pull all the slack up to your srt device ( mine is a bulldog bone and can be used as a drt device, iam not sure which other ones can be used for either) then proceed to the top of the tree using normal drt and lanyard then tie off your mainline and work srt.

i tend to prefer to work from a crown tie in point rather than a base tie.

carl

• Like 2

On 06/03/2021 at 10:53, MattyF said:

I really like the x static rope but would order 60m so you can set a retrievable anchor if you do a lot of large trees.

is this your daily srt/drt rope, do you like it?

iam using non ce cougar blue and its due for renewal .

thanks

is this your daily srt/drt rope, do you like it?
iam using non ce cougar blue and its due for renewal .
thanks

Was on non ce cougar for a good few years and liked it but it was a hassle getting it in, I’m on my second Hank of this now and have found it a good alternative... a bit thinner....it does not feel in hand like a static rope like say the scion or sterling I have but has its characteristics barely any stretch ... didn’t like the Drenaline for srt to bouncer and still use a short length of non CE cougar if I climb on a double rope but that is used for small trees when it’s a hassle to put on ascenders and set up.
  • Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 19:20, Rich Rule said:

Say if you throw the line and get 2/3rds of the way up a tree.  Base tie and make sure you have enough working rope for the tasks.  Then SRT to the anchor.  Scramble, alternate land yard or free climb to the desired point.  Then pass your system through the desired crotch and pull the line all the way through.

Schultz effect shows a lot of these techniques and methods.

Not sure I want to be free climbing past my point !

Rope length and I suppose climbing in general is very personal to each and every one of us. For me I use a 40m and 20m. I can’t stand having  more rope than I need, it’s just a ‘tidy’ thing I have. Most of the work I do I’ll use a canopy tie so I’ll use whatever length best suits the job. If I need more of a working end, I’ll add the shorter rope onto the retrieval end and coil up any excess to not get in the way. 

Edited by mikedrums69
  • Like 1

Today I used my kit for the first time. First jab at srt. Bit of a nightmare really, I have a lot to learn and adapt. I did enjoy the ascents, and the redirects. I liked how I could work the tree in cake slices without having to worry about friction or getting back up for the next bit. I am generally quite efficient in my work, so today was a blow to my ego ! My anchor got wedged up there in removal, I had to get out my drt kit and get back up there, balls ! Funny how easy it was moving in the tree in drt after struggling for the day ! I'm really keen to look to some training, to answer some of my questions. Or even a recreational climb with a practiced srt climber. 

• Like 1