Mrs going srt kit advise please.

You can use your existing rope for srt, it just won't be as efficient as an srt rope. I climb srt on sherrill poison ivy rope.
Simplest method is rope wrench, hitch climber set up, foot ascender and lanyard over the shoulder to advance the system.
Then add in a knee ascender, chest harness and srt rope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one thing with srt is to give it time and don't try it for the first time on a high pressure job that just needs to get done in a time frame. 

It will take time to make the switch and once you do you wish you had done sooner. 

I still use drt in trees but found srt is easier on the body. 

Just like cordless long arm hedge trimmers 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Welcome Rob,

you’ll want the same length as you would drt, you’ll still have 2 legs of the top reaching the ground even though it’s srt.

by the way, what is mrs? Merrist wood technique?

Thank you for the welcome, up until now I've just been a silent stalker !

Lol, there's so many ways now that people define what used to just be called climbing technique ! 

I was going for the acronym 'moving rope system'. Two ends, two blakes/prussics, and a side strop. Thanks for your comment, my thoughts were on that line. But I had read on here somewhere, someone had mentioned three times the height you climb ? 

Just now, Rob Thompson said:

Thank you for the welcome, up until now I've just been a silent stalker !

Lol, there's so many ways now that people define what used to just be called climbing technique ! 

I was going for the acronym 'moving rope system'. Two ends, two blakes/prussics, and a side strop. Thanks for your comment, my thoughts were on that line. But I had read on here somewhere, someone had mentioned three times the height you climb ? 

You need to factor in any redirects you may have made on the final descent, so yes a rope twice the height of the tree potentially could be too short 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, krummholz said:

+1 for getting a longer 60m rope, makes traversing or redirects much more doable. I've got 50m of Sterling HTP and it's surprising how often it's only just long enough after a base tie on a large tree.

Maybe add a maillon or anchor ring for a base tie and/or canopy anchor.

I wouldn't say you're over egging it, it's good to focus on the ascent aspect of SRT systems as that's where you'll see the most benefit initially. Other benefits will come as you gain more experience and knowledge of the system. Gear for redirects can easily be found in stuff you'll already have (HMS karabiner, sling, e2e hitch chord etc.)

(At first read of your post title I legit thought your wife was leaving you and you were buying some SRT kit to cheer yourself up...)

Thanks for the information, there's a few shouts for a longer line now, this is a great help. As for rings and various nicknacks, I have them in abundance !

And yes, the mrs title seems to have thrown many ! 

• Like 1

I'm also on hitchclimber and been intending to do this for ages, not quite got round to it.

I did buy the Schultz effect though, and it's really good. He explains a lot of different approaches to things and reasoning why, and also a section comparing approach using SRT and DRT to move around the same tree. I would say it improved my DRT climbing already.

• Thanks 1