Anyone else just fed up of customers at the moment

Clutchy

Pretty much what the titles says.

A little rant and I suppose, after some advice.

All I seem to of done the last 3 weeks is quote about 100 jobs and each and everyone wants their tree smashed to bits.

I try and explain the benefit of a lighter reduction and I am most persuasive (historically) but recently its just not getting through to customers. Multiple have flat out demanded theirs trees to be pollarded or cut to stems or they will look elsewhere, to which I tell them to do so. Honestly just thinking of giving in and stop trying to do the right thing and just do what they say. All I see around north London is crap tree work. 

Even when dimensions have been specified on accepted work, we reduce the tree, has a beautiful shape, lots of foliage still up there and then they kick off with 'I love the tree but I need more light, so please do more without harming the tree' so we reply 'Totally understand that, but we've spent the last 5 hours reducing the tree to look great, taking more off will harm the tree and look terrible' 'well I need the light so do it or....'

This is getting so tedious, any advice? PS we aren't cheap and we do have some wonderful customer, think its just been a bad month.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

The eternal tragicomedy of the artist who needs must serve Philistines for his crust...you can deliver Shakespeare but they demand Punch & Judy....you can brew real ale but they crave Heineken...

If you feel that way often, your marketing strategy needs work. 

• Like 1

Domestic work is essentially topping and gnome dodging 

Big trees in small spaces want making smaller and there only one way, customers love to see big wounds and loads of tree going through that chipper, thow your dignity and morals through that chipper and ride it out

Glad i do very little domestic anymore  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

It is definitely getting that way. 

It feels like trying to educate the customers makes you come across as being 'difficult' so you might be right.

Perhaps clearance not appearance is the way forward - although this is slightly depressing. 

I suppose bad work can still be done well. 

• Sad 1

It’s the idea of ‘educating’ clients that always rubs me up the wrong way.

What I do if a client wants something done that would be construed as wrong is I say

’thats a little harder than I’d normally recommend, there could be a problem for the tree or it’ll look a bit shit if we do that’ then if they’re sure,  just do it (or don’t) don’t ‘educate’ them.

• Like 9

I do often wonder, whats better, a totally shafted tree, or no tree? 

Obviously I mean a 'safe' tree, not compromised structurally in said shafting.

Same with farmers flailing hedges - definitely laying would be great, but not practical for all farmers to do at scale, but surely better than no hedge.....  

• Like 4