Dimensions and turning circle for a loading area

Hi Guys,

I am looking to put in a loading area at a woodland gate before taking down some trees. I am thinking to make it part of the woodland management plan. The woodland is small -9 acres. I have got an agreement to make a management plan with Rural Payments. I want to take down about 4 acres of Christmas trees and Thuja -all a bit overstood. I am in North Wiltshire. (Any adivce on who to sell it to would be greatly welcomed too!)

I am wondering what you would consider to be minimum dimensions for a workable loading area that people are going to want to come and collect from -presumably with an artic? The road is a B road, so I will need planning permission, so I need to make a sensible application.

The road is 5.5 metres wide. I am a little bit constrained by a telegraph post on one side of the gate (set back 2 metres from the road, so 7.5 metres from the other side) and the local lady of the manor's land starting close to the other side of the gate (11 metres from the telegraph pole).  The gate is currently 5 metres set back form the road but I can move it and widen it. 

Can I make it fit? How wide would you make the final gate? How long and wide would you reccomend I make the loading area? If I cannot get an artic in, what is the biggest vehicle I can get in and is it practical?

I know that is quite a lot of questions. Thanks for your advice.

Bigger. Whatever you build will want to be bigger.

Timber wagon drivers are generally pretty creative, if it's a quiet road they can probably just back in off the road through a pair of double 12' gates if you've got 7.5m hedge to hedge available on the road by cutting out the verge.

Probably best to find a driver or two and get their opinion. If you only have a small quantity of timber they may also buy it as they tend to have open tickets with the mills as most big mills response to hearing you have timber to sell is how many 100t? 😂

5 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Thanks Timberonabike. I don't know any timber lorry drivers. Where is a good place to look for one please? Are there any on here?

Some of the local plant guys will be familiar with this type of work .

55 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Thanks Timberonabike. I don't know any timber lorry drivers. Where is a good place to look for one please? Are there any on here?

Burger vans near sawmills is a good start 😂

We mostly find them through contractors, buyers and just seeing them around. You're a bit out of my locality, but know one driver that goes anywhere for big interesting stuff as he has a larger crane.

• Haha 1

On 03/03/2021 at 18:01, Paul73 said:

Hi Guys,

I am looking to put in a loading area at a woodland gate before taking down some trees. I am thinking to make it part of the woodland management plan. The woodland is small -9 acres.

The road is 5.5 metres wide. I am a little bit constrained by a telegraph post on one side of the gate (set back 2 metres from the road, so 7.5 metres from the other side) and the local lady of the manor's land starting close to the other side of the gate (11 metres from the telegraph pole).  The gate is currently 5 metres set back form the road but I can move it and widen it. 

I would have thought a timber truck would bend into that gateway without too much trouble, If it cant be got into from one direction because of the telegraph pole I am pretty sure it would be manageable from the other. Quite often had to shunt about into gate entrances much narrower than that.

I would be more concerned with sight lines.

Bob